Thread: Lesson In Acceleration

Found this address in my files. May be old news to most---still get a kick out of reading it.
    http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature...06chrispalmer/

GofastRacer
    Interesting!..

ECeptor
    Wow!

Moneypitt
    Amazing is the fact these vehicles are somewhat of a controled explosion. Actually 8 controlled explosions, all working in unision, 270 times. More energy than a 747. Now consider that a fighter aircraft on a carrier STEAM catapult is QUICKER!!!!!!!!..............MP

About 5 years back, Garlts did an exhibition run against an f-16 on a land catapult and won. Back then, top fuel was running around 4.7 in the 1/4. He had the plane covered in the 1/4 but the MPH of the fighter was higher at the 1/4. By about 5/8 of a mile the F-16 was gone. Fact is, a top fuel dragster pulls more G's "in the 1/4" THAN JUST ABOUT ANYTHING. The are a few planes that pull more between 1/4 an1/2 mile.

If the spark plugs are consumed......... Where do you think the
    timing is at?

LynnsJet
    I have read this at least 10 times in the past and it still absolutely amazes me.
    One of the reasons I love the blower motor (bbc) in my Jet is because it "kind of" looks like one of those motors.
    Everyone should try to go to a NHRA or IHRA Drag race at least once to experience what it is like to be within 25 yards of one of those monsters. When the ground vibrates and it's incredibly loud (even with your fingers in your ears) and the dragster is gone in no time at all - it is ORGASMIC.
    I still can't believe they can put 5,000+ horsepower to the ground and accelerate at 8 G's without spinning the tires (special clutch or not).
    L J.

502 JET
    Everyone should try to go to a NHRA or IHRA Drag race at least once to experience what it is like to be within 25 yards of one of those monsters. When the ground vibrates and it's incredibly loud (even with your fingers in your ears) and the dragster is gone in no time at all - it is ORGASMIC.
    I still can't believe they can put 5,000+ horsepower to the ground and accelerate at 8 G's without spinning the tires (special clutch or not).
    L J.
    I go to the NHRA National event at Englishtown Raceway Park NJ every year cant wait to go this year.You can go into the pits and stand next to the nitro cars when they warm them up it is unbelievable.When they rev these engines up it shakes your insides and the nitro fumes are like tear gas.These engines are making around 7000hp.Watching these cars run on tv is no comparison to seeing and feeling them run in person.

LynnsJet
    I go to the NHRA National event at Englishtown Raceway Park NJ every year cant wait to go this year.You can go into the pits and stand next to the nitro cars when they warm them up it is unbelievable.When they rev these engines up it shakes your insides and the nitro fumes are like tear gas.These engines are making around 7000hp.Watching these cars run on tv is no comparison to seeing and feeling them run in person.
    You sound like a man after my own heart. I love those Top Fuel Motors.
    BUT are you really hard core - Do you take a Gas Mask into the pits with you?
    NO, I don't have one but I am considering it. LOL
    Hey, you should come down to Maryland and go Jetting with us at Magruders on the Patuxant sometime. Then we could talk some sh*t.
    L J

Infomaniac
    I have the pleasure of working with many top fuel funny car crews. Some of the things that they tell me are amazing.
    The clutch discs are only used for 2 runs (laps) they run 3 new and 2 used every run. The floater disc between the clutch discs are good for 1 run. The flywheel bangs the rear engine plate hard on a funny car. We design in wear buttons just for this reason. The crank spreading open causes this. Sometimes the strips in the blower rotors are consumed. No trace of them at the end of the run. The gears in the blower will wear and sometimes one rotor will drive the other rotor. The flywheel is still 500 degrees measured after the run and after the car is towed back and torn down between runs. Tires "chunk" all the time. Really scary to see.