Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living on a boat?

LhcBrad
    I have been browsing this forum for quite some time now and this is a great place for information so now i have a question for anyone who wants to chime in. I use to live on a boat in Santa Barbara and i loved it.The question is can you live on a boat on Lake Havasu? I dont think the marina allows it but can you live on the lake? I know it gets really hot in the summer and a bit chilly in the winter.Are there any laws concerning this or does anyone know anybody who has done this or is doing this on a full time basis?
    Thanks for any help

Mandelon
    Why not build a nice big houseboat on some old pontoons and have at it....? Might be some BLM rules about it....keep us posted though....

LhcBrad
    If i was going to do it it would be a cruiser type boat 24-26 ft. Any ideas where the best place to anchor would be? Is the place by site six a good place?

Mandelon
    I'd think you'd want to keep moving around a bit. I know there are campsites on the water, but I don't recall seeing boats moored overnight.
    The rules must be posted somewhere.....

h2oski2fast
    There used to ba a house boat that was moored in a cove on the AZ side near the bouy line down by the Springs. I heard they had to put it in a marina or get it off the lake.

LhcBrad
    I have seen the campsites but i think they are pay sites and i do not want to pay everynight i think the moving around might be a good idea I will do my homework on the rules

LhcBrad
    Do you know if you can live in the marinas?

Froggystyle
    With the house prices being retarded here in San Diego, my wife and I were thinking about selling our house for what we estimate is about $400,000 more than it is worth, but what it appraised at and buying a yacht.
    An older but pimp yacht has already taken it's big hit money-wise and they haven't gone up like housing has. Way I figure it, we get out of the house with a pile of cash, get into a boat (that I want anyway) and wait out the inevitable crash that is going to happen when everyone who can't afford their new house payments from the re-fi's runs out of cash to pay it with from the re-fi and has to sell.
    If that doesn't do it, the expiration of the interest free part of the loans will probably cayalyze the situation.
    When only 3% of the population can afford a home... odds are pretty good they are going to get more affordable pretty soon. I figure I will sell at the top and wait it out.
    Any advice on yacht living in SD?

ROZ
    Heck why not? Crocket did it

LhcBrad
    I lived on a boat for 15 yrs and it was great.It has some good and some bad yes it is alot less to live but you do not have any storage space and all your grocerys and laundry is hauled in and hauled out. It isnt very fun in the rain during an el nino year.The good thing is if you take the boat out you never forget anything because you have your home with you.Salt water takes it toll on a boat.To sum up the boat life you either love it or hate it.Its not for everybody. Ive never lived on a lake only on the ocean its the heat i am concerned about.I know they have AC for boats but the whole idea is to live cheap and AC costs $$

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast