Thread: Yet another starter question...

stashtrey
    I've been having issues, as some might have read hear, with my starter on my 460.
    I have a question.... the little gear on the end of the starter, that engages the flywheel.... that should pop out when the key is turned, and then turn the flywheel.. correct?
    I just tested the new starter I bought the other day which I've been unable to start my boat with, and it definitely is not popping out. It spins, but it does not pop out.
    Also... the little gear on the starter is much smaller than the old starter I had... this seems to me like it is not meshing with the flywheel and in-turn it is binding up and not able to turn the motor.
    I have checked my motor, it turns fine by hand with a breaker bar. I bought brand new 1 guage battery cables and have a good ground.
    Does this sound about right? I think I just bought either a bogus starter that does not work, or its a starter that doesn't quite fit my motor....
    What do you think?

Fiat48
    Sounds like both are wrong to me.

stashtrey
    Thanks. I finally feel like I have this mess figured out. Big time pain in the ass. Now I gotta find someone in my town to sell me the right starter so I can hit the water this weekend!

Fiat48
    Might try a Napa store. Find the old guy behind the counter. Tell him what ya got.

stashtrey
    Good idea... I went to Kragen, the guy seemed fairly sharp. He did mention that the starter was for a Lincoln... and that it was the same thing as a Ford starter... the starter he gave me has a Ford stamp on it but the gear is definitely smaller and the teeth are lower..... there are however the same amount of teeth on the old start as there are on the new one.
    Either way... I'll try again.

Remember, closed engine compartment = need USCG-certified starter.
    Call this number and ask for the best and closest source. 916-791-3783

Mighty Thor
    This might seem obvious but then familuarity breeds contempt. My buddy an old Ford Guy was testing a starter one day and the bendix would not spin out and he was starting to get a little steamed around the collar cause it was new and we had to use the truck that night. Anyhow, after about the third try I noticed that he was hooking the starter up backwards on the bench. Yep, spins fine that way, just backwards and the bendix will never spin out. Needles to say we were both relieved and chagrined. Just glad we didn't take it back to the store to raise hell.

stashtrey
    I just double checked how I was connecting the battery when I was testing it with the jumpers and the battery.... I wasn't doing it right. The thing definitely DOES pop out and spin. No problems there.
    I guess the only thing left is that the bendix or the gear or whatever you call it is not the same length and it doesn't seem to be the same. I guess that is my only hope because after this I have no idea what could be wrong.

stashtrey
    Thanks to everyone that helped me out (especially Squirtin Thunder). I fixed this thing today... starts right up. Got a gear reduction marine starter from a guy in town. The starter I bought originally had a bent shaft. Bummer.
    Hitting the river tomorrow!