Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the real Merlin Please stand up?

jlnorthrup122

SPECIFICATIONS
    Model: V-1650-7
    Type: 12-cylinder with two-stage mechanically-driven supercharger
    Displacement: 1,649 cu.in.
    Weight: 1,690 lbs.
    Max. RPM: 3,000
    Max. HP: 1,695

I hope to some day find this engine to install in a 24'cat I am designing and plan on starting const. in 2 weeks or less depending on how quickly the framework goes on the drawing board.

Sleek-Jet
    There was an article last year in Air & Space Smithsonian on the Big V-12's (Feb/March 2002). The way it sounded to go in the article was use a Griffon. Still some 0 time one's left, and at less cost than the Merlins.
    They talked about the few shops left that still overhaul the Rolls, and Allison V-12's.
    And you don't need one, you need two of those bad boys.
    [ May 24, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

jlnorthrup122
    2 would be nice I know where I can get a almost complete merlin for 2 grand less the crank piston and cam. My wife would kill me if I went out and bought it rite now and I would like to find a complete setup possibly in an old warbird salvage yard. I know they put the packard production merlin in the mustang p 51 a's & some B's along with the Lancaster bombers. the landcaster bomber applications are the best to find because thay usually always have the supercharger on em for the highaltude and seapresure I guess the reason they were short on superchargersin the P-51's was due to a shortage of tungsten. another good V-12 is the Alison 17.

[ May 24, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

Sleek-Jet
    Good luck in the boneyards, most of em have been picked over, and those that do have engine core's know what they've got.
    Canada-air also made a version of the DC-6 with RR V-12's instead of Pratts, I can't remember if they were Merlins or Griffons.
    If you want, PM me your address and I'll make you a copy of the article and mail it to you. There are only a few shops left that overhaul these engines, and the author talked to most of them. It's a pretty good read.
    Here's one of the shops that still work on V-12's Mystery Aire Check out the parts for sale section.

I thought the R/R-Merlin was 1710 cu/in? [5.5" bore x 6" stroke]

jlnorthrup122
    I thought the R/R-Merlin was 1710 cu/in? [5.5" bore x 6" stroke]
    No that would be the Allison that Sleek jet and myself mention in this post as well

jlnorthrup122
    Newly forged Alcoa pistons. Can be machined to custom specifications - Merlin or Allison - standard or oversized - stock or racing specs. $7,000.00 per set (includes rings)
    Merlin -25 crankcase with main bearings $25,000.00
    These are about what I was expecting boy those old boys that bought these at a surplus bulk price from the government after the war were pritty lucky. I wounder what the military has in its stockaid today? Have you ever herd of Aero Marine engines from the old days it was founded by gar wood and he took government surplus plane motors and build marine conversions for then. You could pritty much run a 1:2 ratio in your forward gear of the merlin and have a nice strong 6,000 rpm to the prop. I also have a crazy duel jet drive design that would prosper well with this kind of power. I know that there already is a dueljet out there from the japs originaly and then from I want to say Agressor I'm not sure. but my design is way differentfrom those designs lets just say ther are no shafts trough the impellers.

Sleek-Jet
    I would have liked to have been in Kingmen when they were cutting up P-38's and B-17's with ferry time from the factory on them. eek!
    Talk about a gold mine!!
    I've heard the Gar Wood is still around, but he builds aircraft motors for the warbird collectors and a few hot rod Merlins for the Reno crowd.
    [ May 27, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Back Forty
    This thread made me think of the Batten V-12. Here are some cut and pastes that I found.
    "I guess my slant on the whole thing is if a owner is
    going to assemble a piston powered class of
    hydroplane to compete on a national circuit as a
    companion class to the tubine boats why not just go
    for the glory and compete side-by-side against the
    turbine U-boats. I think that piston powerplants exist
    that could give the turbine boats a run for their money.
    Plus, The costs involved in campaigning a piston class
    unlimited on the national circuit must be similar to
    running a tubine team.
    In this months issue of Powerboat magazine, on page
    100, resides an article on the Batten Max-12 engine.
    Weighing in at only 550 lbs, this is a 1000
    cubic inch magnesium block V-12 with 24-port
    programmable fuel injection, 4 valves and three
    sparkplugs per cylinder that in stock form produces
    1700 horsepower. Run it on nitro-methane and
    according to the article it produces 200 horsepower
    per cylinder (thats 2400 H.P. total) and this is
    still without the addition of turbo or supercharging."
    And this
    "StarAero: "The engine is a 1002 ci, liquid cooled, V-12, DOHC with four valves and two plugs per cylinder. For our purposes, it will be turbocharged, intercooled, and equipped with a boil off system. An air cooling system for the radiators will also be incorporated for long range flight and when the water boils off. This is absolutely necessary so that we don’t burn up when the fluid runs out. The engine will incorporate fully redundant FADEC, with electronic ignition and fuel injection.
    The combination of advanced head and piston design, ceramic engine coatings, and high fuel atomization from the FADEC will reduce the specific fuel consumption to less than half of a supercharged Merlin and eliminate any need for power-robbing ADI.
    All systems will be equipped with quick-disconnects and double-ended shutoff connections to enable engine changes in only a few hours. As with modern race cars, the "power package" will be treated as a unit and any work can be done either in the airframe or on the trailer. We plan to carry a full spare power package at all races."
    AAFO.COM: How did you come up with this particular powerplant? I mean, is it new to racing—where did it originate?
    StarAero: "The engine was originally designed by famed race engineer C. J. Batten for offshore boat racing. This is a demanding environment with 0 to +7 G transients and the need for 3 to 5 HP/lb. and 4 to 6 HP/ci.
    For our use, the engine will be limited to 1.5 to 2.5 HP/lb. In this trim, our goal is to have no maintenance for 100 hours of race power level flying. We even want the spark plugs to last that long, all twenty-four of them! This is the minimum necessary to serve practice, heat races and finals—all at full race speed—for a ten race season. We need to break Unlimited racing out of the consumable engine era that we are in now."
    I have their last catalog which shows pics and specs.

Back Forty
    Here we are.

there was also a V8 OHC model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast