Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AV gas with a side of 2-cycle please?

2Driver
    Thoughts on this.....
    Was talking with this guy selling his 2000 Chaparral (I know it's a family boat) and he was bragging about only using AV gas with a small mix of 2-cycle oil (for extra lube) He stated that Teague Marine said it was ok to do.
    This seems like all down side to me especially for a bone stock small block, carbed mercruiser). 101 octane for a engine that needs only 89 not to mention the premix on the rings and in the carb. For what?

Jrocket
    Why would anybody do that?

Danhercules
    I can see the small amount of premix, kinda like Marvel mystery oil that some use. But I am talkin a small amount.
    The hight octain, I would say no. There has been lots of talk in gear heads and just jets about it. Do a search if you wanna learn about it.

Dribble
    What a bonehead

voodoomedman
    AV Gas is also formulated for aviation. It is less dense so it will be lighter in the planes and those engines have way lower rpm's. AVGas is freaquently used in engines requiring higher octane but usually if done right the engine is tuned to run on the stuff. If you were seriously thinking of buying it then research this stuff and maybe call Teague Marine to verify the story.
    And what a dufus in the first place. 87 octane is cheaper than AVGAS so why else would you want to do this.

lucky
    chapperal -- ???? nuff said !

Riverkid
    Maybe he liked how it smells?..

2Driver
    Jeez who knows what was in the guys head, .........I was going to debate the guy but he seemed almost religious over it .... you know like those people who sell Amway and Amsoil. It is almost Jehovah Witness like. :idea: Sorry didn't mean to be not pC

Sandbar Mike
    I would run it to clean the carb out every once in a while, but yes add a little mystery oil with it, no lub, lots of alcohol.

Jordy
    That's even more of a waste of money than just a boat itself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast