Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: News on 20 story Havasu hotel???

bigkyle
    Reports are that Marriott is looking to locate a hotel/timeshare on the Island. Rumor also has it that management at the Beachcomber Resort is trying to convert the older mobile home section into a hotel/timeshare. Anybody know or heard anything??????????
    Village, hotel project before board
    By Brian DiTullio
    Tuesday, August 2, 2005 10:50 PM MDT
    The English Village owner and the Marriott Corporation both want a few changes to city zoning codes.
    A development plan for the English Village and an unrelated proposed high-rise hotel at Pittsburg Point are scheduled to dominate today's meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission.
    John Parrott and Tom Kack are listed as the applicants for two requested text amendments to zoning codes that would allow for unlimited stays and buildings up to 220 feet high in resort-related areas.
    Parrott represents CHOP LLC, a Nevada Limited Liability Company.
    In a letter to the city, they state their intention to build a 400-unit, 20-story high rise Marriott Timeshare Hotel with all amenities on 17 acres of land located at Pittsburg Point on the Island.
    Today's News-Herald was unable to contact CHOP LLC on Tuesday for further comment.
    Kack has been listed as a legal representative of Chris Reed, owner of the English Village.
    Conceptual drawings unveiled last year by the former owners of the English Village showed multi-leveled condominiums being erected on the sight as well as a clock tower. This drawing sparked immediate negative reaction from council members and the public.
    Reed said on Tuesday that there is a misunderstanding about the term "condominium."
    "It's a method of ownership, we are planning a hotel," said Reed. "Our intent is not to do any kind of permanent residence."
    In a letter to the city, Kack states he's interested in clarifying the definition of "condominium," and that Meritan, LLC, the company formed to develop the English Village "can not engage in residential use of its property and that others may not do the same on their property."
    Kack goes on to say "The English Village needs longer stays and I expect the City would like to accommodate winter and other longer stay visitors to foster tourist income and longer stays for consultants etc. at hotels and motels to foster bed tax and sales tax dollars and the local economy."
    Kack also gives some recommendations on how the city can "police" the zoning code and ensure there are no permanent residency structures built in the area.
    Reed said he is hoping his request is not being confused with the Marriott request.
    City staff took the applicant's requests under consideration and came up with some analysis.
    "The current definition of 'hotel'is not well written and vague with regard to maximum length of stay," states the report. "Many hotel stays in Lake Havasu City exceed the traditional transient, daily, weekly stay, especially in the winter months."
    City staff addresses the height exception request by noting that few properties in the city meet the 10-acre minimum required for such an exception.
    Staff is recommending the Planning and Zoning Commission create a definition for a Resort-Hotel and add the new definition to the list of permitted uses. They also recommend allowing sites of only seven acres or more be eligible for the height exceptions.
    The meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the Police Facility (2360 McCulloch Blvd.).
    - You may contact the reporter at ditullio@havasunews.com
    © 2005 River City Newspapers, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Throttle
    I will add, that during a time share orientation at the first cabin club (nautical) about 3 weeks ago, it was stated that a plan was to make areas of the island full service resorts (do not quote the verbage) but you get the idea, I hope.

badbrad
    that would be great.................employee rates for me!!!

jbtrailerjim
    Rumor also has it that management at the Beachcomber Resort is trying to convert the older mobile home section into a hotel/timeshare. Anybody know or heard anything??????????
    I sure hope this is only a rumor. My folks own a mobile home in the older section of the Beachcomber. That is where I stay also when I come to Havasu.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    I don't think it will happen until the new bridge over to the island is complete.....
    CJG

beach gomer
    When my wife and I came off the water on Saturday, we had a note on our truck written by a full time resident from the mobile home section at the Beachcomber Resort. The note stated that the owner of the Beachcomber, Jim Santiago, is trying to sell the mobile home section to the Marriott Hotel corp. In turn, he will be displacing 175 owners of these units, including my family. A meeting is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., September 7, with the planning and zoning commission. If you own a mobile home at the Beachcomber or know someone that does, please attend and spread the word. Large numbers speak louder. For those residents who own park models, they may also want to appear. I’m sure the many amenities that we all pay for will be affected.

2Driver
    Knowing LHC Zoning and planning it will go something like this.....
    It will 25 stories not 20 and will open late due to construction quality issues
    It will block all views of any existing resident’s home without a thought
    The hotel theme will be the following mix of:
    -London Bridge & Merry old London
    -American Native Indian,
    -South Pacific Tiki Hut
    -Old Southern Dixie Bell
    The outside will be painted Gumby Green and Titty Pink with checkered flags and Tribal flames.
    It will have 450 rooms and 135 parking spaces.
    :rollside: :rollside:

jbtrailerjim
    When my wife and I came off the water on Saturday, we had a note on our truck written by a full time resident from the mobile home section at the Beachcomber Resort. The note stated that the owner of the Beachcomber, Jim Santiago, is trying to sell the mobile home section to the Marriott Hotel corp. In turn, he will be displacing 175 owners of these units, including my family. A meeting is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., September 7, with the planning and zoning commission. If you own a mobile home at the Beachcomber or know someone that does, please attend and spread the word. Large numbers speak louder. For those residents who own park models, they may also want to appear. I’m sure the many amenities that we all pay for will be affected.
    Well that just sucks! I'll be sure to pass this info to my parents. I'm sure they will not be to pleased to here about this. I will definitely encourage them to attend the meeting. They have owned a place there for over 12 years and our family spends a lot of time there in the summer.

SummitKarl
    the island is getting developed, it's in the City 5yr plan, as for what I have heard, we are looking a 150 homes and 2 resort hotels, (20 stories ain't happening) unless the code is changed, commercial zoned properties are now set at 35ft high max in LHC.

Dusty Times
    After the island is developed with high rise resort that rent nothing but PWCs and pontoons to people (hundreds or even thousands of guests) that have never been on water before will there be any room for Hot Boaters?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast