Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: News on 20 story Havasu hotel???

beach gomer
    If he wants to build a timeshare, why does he have a real-estate agent and why are we hearing that it's up for sale?

SummitKarl
    Well, I just got back from Havasu and spent some time at city hall on Friday to find out more information about developmnet rumors around the island. Spoke to a staff person that is processing applications from the owners of the Beachcomber Resort and the English Village. Here's what I learned -- First of all, the applications are for amendments to the city's development code relative to height, definition of a hotel, and planned development. Current code permits a maximum height in Hotel zones of 70 feet, the applicants want 220'; city staff is recommending 120' to the city's planning commission at their meeting on September 7. They are also seeking to amend the definition of a hotel to allow for timeshares. Lastly, they are asking that planned developments be permitted on properties of less than the current 10 acres (a planned development project of 10 acres or more can apparently exceed several development codes). These are all generic codfe changes that would apply throughout the city.
    Second, Marriott has no real interest in any of the applications. The realty agent for Jim Santiago, owner of the Beachcomber, only contacted Marriott to determine requirements for timeshares, thus the requested change to the definition of a hotel. Santigo is considering the development of a timeshare on the older mobile home section of the Beachcomber Resort.
    Finally, should the applicants receive favorable decisions by the planning commission and then the city council, Santiago would still have to seek a zone change to permit the development of a timeshare at the Beachcomber. He would also have to deal with the issues such as access (bridge) and utilities. It was also my understanding that the concerns over the English Village only applied to the area north of the bridge. They may be seeking hotel or timeshare development as well.
    as I said in the beginning of this thread "It ain't going to happen" because of the current code. and this needs to go to vote to raise the bldg. ht. the last time we tried this here... it got hammered down hard!!!!!!!!!!! and it will get hammered down again.....all of us that live understand why we have hight restrictions
    so bigkyle you were at the planning window talking with "Larry D" I assume, this sounds like his standard answer on the subject.

bigkyle
    as I said in the beginning of this thread "It ain't going to happen" because of the current code. and this needs to go to vote to raise the bldg. ht. the last time we tried this here... it got hammered down hard!!!!!!!!!!! and it will get hammered down again.....all of us that live understand why we have hight restrictions
    so bigkyle you were at the planning window talking with "Larry D" I assume, this sounds like his standard answer on the subject.
    I spoke with the planner handling the applications, Stuart Schmeling. It's my understanding that the change to the development code for height restrictions only requires review and recommendation from the planning commission to the city council, who has the final say.
    As for Beach Gomer's question, I think the realtor, which is John Parrott from Coldwell Banker Commercial, maybe working with Santiago to broker a deal to do a timeshare. That is only my speculation though.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678