Thread: Help, fuel pump ground problem!

Tunnel Vision
    I'm having a problem with no ground to the fuel pump on one of my 2.5 Drags.
    When I originaly picked up the boat last year we had the same problem with one engine (same engine now) at the ECU plug, a dirty or loose pin, cleaned it and its been trouble free until today.
    I have tried cleaning the pin and socket with no luck, But if I run a jumper to ground all is good!
    1-My question is can I just bypass the ECU for this fuel pump ground?
    2- Why does Merc. use the ECU to control the ground?
    Danno

You Te
    I heard a few different stories on why. I remember if the key was on and the motor was not running the fuel pump would shut off. I hooked up the fuel pump ground to a battery ground, no more problems.

Tunnel Vision
    I heard a few different stories on why. I remember if the key was on and the motor was not running the fuel pump would shut off. I hooked up the fuel pump ground to a battery ground, no more problems.
    While I was waiting for a reply, I went out and made up a jumper wire and it seems to work fine other than it use to shut the pump off if you were no cranking the eengine.
    I must be a coast guard thing, because I see no other purpose.
    My old 1989 bridgeport was wired to the battery ground and the key and that was it.
    Thanks again, You Te....
    TV

randy77zt
    i used to have a boat -i am getting another 1.my boat had a 260 merc on it.it had wiring problems when i first got it.the fuel pump was connected to the purple ign wire in the merc harness.it was connected with on of those stupid blue scotchlock connectors.i rewired the fuel pump directly to the battery with a relay off of the key switch.if you think about the potential for damage by leaning out becuase of low fuel pressure on a merc efi outboard you will probably be testing the voltage at the fuel pumps with a dvom.my boat quit running while idleling 12 miles from havasu.i was lucky i didnt burn some pistons up but i was in a mellow mood at the time and was just cruising.2 years later fuel pump went out on the delta and the tow-in cost more than the pump.the pump was making a little more noise than normal..if i get another boat with merc efi motor it will have an accurate fuel pressure gauge in the dash.some thorough trouble shooting is or re-engineering might be needed.

You Te
    I must be a coast guard thing, because I see no other purpose.TV
    That's one of the stories I heard. If the engine dies I guess you don't need the fuel pump running.