Thread: Electrical Question

I have a 26' Sleekcraft, jet with 454. Had plans to put the boat in the water yesterday (first time five weeks)and as always crank the boat over to start it and shut down (no surprises).
    Here is the issue, it will only crnak if my lever is neutral (and it doesn't fire, just turns over). If I put the lever in either forward or reverse it doesn't crank at all (this has never been a problem before). If I move it back to neutral and start cranking it, it is fine until I movethe lever in either direction.
    Obviously it is electrical, but I haven't a clue as to where to look first (fuses and circuit breaker are OK).
    Any thoughts before I disconnect everything and start from scratch? As always - thanks.
    propless and baffled

77charger
    check under your shifter it sounds like a safety switch to me that was maye stuck then freed itself.But i find it odd for a jet to have a neatral switch!If you do have one bypass it.

Bondo
    Start with the lever, if you don't find the problem, check the run,+ ends of the cables... something is rubbing somewhere...........

Thanks for the comments "Gear Head Gawds", like you I was unaware of any neutral switch gadget, still not sure it is there.
    God I hate looking for electrial issues! Any other thoughts WELCOME!

Bow Tie Omega
    Also check for any wires you may have strapped to the cable. those cables flex when you shift them. When you shift, the cable may be flexing and the wire/s that is strapped to the cable may be exposed and may be hitting/ grounding out against something. Good Luck....Joe

HammerDown
    propless...just wondering about your Sleekcraft. What kind of mph are you seeing?
    I had one for a day...yes a day. It had a Ford 460 with a Jacizzi in it...Great Big Jet Boat, Ambassador I belive it was?

Hammer -
    26' Sleekcraft Ambassador running a modified 454 and propulsion is a berkley jet w/ dual 80 gallon tanks. It actually planes rather quickly and I get around 50mph with two adults and are son. My best modification was purchasing a new spec'd carb from TPC Racing earlier this summer, increased both plane time and top end.
    It is great when the water is like glass or rather rough, but a real air craft carrier at wake speed - it gets spooky!

rrrr
    I bought a new one in 1980, had a 454 with a berk. It was a fun boat, funny thing about changing times though.
    At the time it looked long, strong and sexy, now I see one and I'm amazed at how chunky and slow they appear.
    Uh, kinda like me I bet....