Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another broken prop shaft

Robbie Racer
    I'm using Redline shockproof gear lube. It's a combination of 75% "Light" and 25% "Heavy". Redline recommended 100% Heavy for my application but the 100% Heavy foams up too much when it gets hot and overflows the "large" reservoir making a mess where the "Light" does not. They told me that I could mix the two to custom make my own viscosity gear lube. The 75%/25% mix does not overflow the reservoir. The next time around, I plan to try 50% of each to see if that will also not overflow the reservoir but give the gears a little additional protection.
    I wasn't aware that Max Machine had any lower gears that will take 1190 ft. lbs. of torque for any longer than the Mercruiser Quicksilver XR gears that I'm currently using. If anyone has experienced more than 90 hours on a set of gears with that kind of torque, I would be interested in hearing about it.

carreraboat
    i think they use the same gears but i believe its the way the set it up shafts clearences etc got a guy with 1236 hp right at 1200 torque running there drive for over 100 hrs no problem and he isnt easy on it

carreraboat
    also he twist the thing to 7000 rpm pretty regularly he also has a 257

Robbie Racer
    also he twist the thing to 7000 rpm pretty regularly he also has a 257
    That's pretty impressive that he is getting more than 100 hours out of the drive with that power and RPM. What speed is he getting out of his 257 at 7,000 RPM? My best is 138 at 6,800 RPM with a 4 blade 34.

carreraboat
    we boat at 4500 feet above sea level and with a 28 and 24 gears sees high teens and low twenty's

Jrocket
    From what Im seeing its the gears that are the biggest problem.Once they let go then the shafts,even the good ones will break.I have a Max Machine drive that has been flawless,but its only had a HP500 hooked to it so far.Th real test will be my new motor,and even though the guys at Max said it will handle it....Im betting highly that it wont.But what else is there?Nothing unless I want to go through the hassle of a #6 and even then its a gamble if it will work correctly.
    Somebody needs to get more info on the new unreleased Imco drive that they have been testing.Ive heard rumors but havent seen anything out there yet.

Robbie Racer
    From what Im seeing its the gears that are the biggest problem.Once they let go then the shafts,even the good ones will break.I have a Max Machine drive that has been flawless,but its only had a HP500 hooked to it so far.Th real test will be my new motor,and even though the guys at Max said it will handle it....Im betting highly that it wont.But what else is there?Nothing unless I want to go through the hassle of a #6 and even then its a gamble if it will work correctly.
    Somebody needs to get more info on the new unreleased Imco drive that they have been testing.Ive heard rumors but havent seen anything out there yet.
    Yeah, I think you are right on about the gears themselves being the biggest problem. The upper gears on the B-Max are bullet proof but I have confirmed with The Bravo Shop yesterday that the lower gears on their drives are just stock Mercruiser XR gears. Dean told me yesterday that the lower gears are set up with .012" "backlash" and when they get worn enough they can try to stop turning just long enough for the prop momentum to break the shaft. It sounds like checking the gears every 60 hours is a very good idea. If we find then that the gears are worn, we can swap them out before they get bad enough to break the shaft. Does Max Machine use the XR lower gear set also or do they make something stronger?
    I would guess that Imco will blitz all the normal news channels if or when their new drive is ready. It would sure be nice if someone does finally come out with a Bravo style drive that is as strong as a #6.

RACER52
    its like a broken record.
    last year at the hookie day I broke my propshaft in the same place. The gears had
    sliver chips out of them. I thought it was from the shavings when shaft broke and
    self machined themselves. That was at 75-80 hours. So now I believe it was the gears from what you guys are saying..
    My drive was apart last week with almost 50 hours on the new gears and they looked
    perfect. We didnt change them, now I'm nervous. But it made another poker run so??
    Racer

Robbie Racer
    its like a broken record.
    last year at the hookie day I broke my propshaft in the same place. The gears had
    sliver chips out of them. I thought it was from the shavings when shaft broke and
    self machined themselves. That was at 75-80 hours. So now I believe it was the gears from what you guys are saying..
    My drive was apart last week with almost 50 hours on the new gears and they looked
    perfect. We didnt change them, now I'm nervous. But it made another poker run so??
    Racer
    Racer, yeah I now believe it's the gears that are causing the prop shaft to break and it's likely you have the same situation. Inspecting them at 50 or 60 hours may be too soon to see any significant wear if the failures are occuring between 75 and 90 hours. I will check my gears at 60 hours and if they look okay, will be inspecting them every 20 hours after that when I change gear lube. It looks like they can be inspected fairly easily without removing the lower unit from the upper.
    As a side question, are you guys aware that Mercruiser is recommending a "break in" period on a new gear set? I think it was 10 hours but need to double check that time period.

hulshot
    I dont know what you are talking about my drive holds up perfe..$$$$$$$ Oh Shit :messedup: I must have put it in neutral or somthing, yeah thats it, all that rumbling around back there is just the exhaust from that fire breathing 396 of mine..
    Well what do you know it finally blew. :idea: I had absolutly no metal shavingss and the gears looked very new inside with 40ish hours of normal driving then legging it out periodically. the only problem was the one missing tooth on the upper forward drive gear that lodged into the input gear and locked it up and brok the caged coupler and twisted the input shaft spines and I think the verticle shaft splines, or maybe the torque did that, anyway the gears looked good but you cant see fatigue in the metal of the gears. It will be fixed soon but I hope Imco comes out with somthing better soon.
    Anyone know of a good High performeance shop that can build a good drive with all the tricks for now?? :idea:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast