Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paging Boatcop - Orange Flag Question

Captain Dan
    I tried to get this out on the Parker Moron thread, but it was cut.
    I was taught that a flag was only for a downed skiier or a rope in the water, not for any of the other things that you listed, is that correct?
    (Not for swimmers, not for rafts, etc.). Granted, it may be a good idea, but when I see a flag, I look for a skiier, or the direction of a rope.

HCS
    My wife puts the flag up anytime anyone is in the water. That's just how she is.
    It didn't use to be law to have a flag at all for anything. It was just recommended. All you had to do is raise an arm.

boater72
    I do know that if you floating in your boat with people in the water you are to have a flag up. Boat cop would know for sure?

Rod-64
    Vessels towing person(s) on water skis or similar devices must carry and use either a bright red or orange “skier down flag” that is at least 12 x 12 inches in size and mounted on a handle. The observer must be physically capable and mentally competent to act as an observer of a water skier. The observer must continuously observe the skier(s) and display a “skier down flag” whenever a skier is in the water after falling or while preparing to ski.

Captain Dan
    Vessels towing person(s) on water skis or similar devices must carry and use either a bright red or orange “skier down flag” that is at least 12 x 12 inches in size and mounted on a handle. The observer must be physically capable and mentally competent to act as an observer of a water skier. The observer must continuously observe the skier(s) and display a “skier down flag” whenever a skier is in the water after falling or while preparing to ski.
    I think that's only part of it - I believe you must also continue to show the flag when a rope is in the water. I guess you could construe the last sentence to include that event - the rope would be in the water if just fallen, and when trying to get up.
    Dunno - Boatcop can help us.

Creator
    Here is some good info
    Boating laws Arizona (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...ters_guide.pdf)

Rod-64
    I think that's only part of it - I believe you must also continue to show the flag when a rope is in the water.
    That was all there was on the AZ game and Fish boating regs.......pretty vague, no??

Rod-64
    Here is some good info
    Boating laws Arizona (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...ters_guide.pdf)
    That's where I got my info................page 30.

Creator
    My personal pet peeve is the newbies with their brand new boats that drive up and down the river pulling a skier (or wakeboarder) with the mrs holding the flag up the entire time.
    Agreed, or when they hold up nothing at all with a skier in the water. I really like it when you see a flag that was orange in 1975 but looks white today.

Captain Dan
    That's where I got my info................page 30.
    I guess it gets back to my original question - is the flag required for swimmers, like when we all pull it over for a dip to cool off.
    I don't think it is - I didn't see it in the book.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast