Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Turn All Those Old Lavey's, Barron's And Bezer's Into Lake Boats Yet!!

Dave Sammons
    Got copied on this letter that was sent to the APBA. Writer makes some good points. Of course, his letter has a few questions that need to be answered and worked out like: is 85-90mph realistic with 385hp? Would think more in the mid to high 70's with a light boat...How manageable will it be to drive ON the rev-limiter the length of the chute...With our short chute's and single pin turns on the west coast, 1:09's I guess would be the gear...What would the "BIG" name engine builders charge to "blueprint" one of these ZZ4'S for a "bucks-up" guy that wanted to run the class? Could the rev-limiter truly be the equalizer? In the end though, I appreciate his thought process and desire to build flatbottom circle racing from the ground up. Yes, the Nostalgia Flat and Endurance classes are helping to do this on the West Coast, but, it is not the cure-all. Pretty sure that grass roots SCCA, Nascar and most local Sprint Car Associations have adopted similar combinations to build interest. In my conversations with Ross Wallach of the SCSC/APBA, he has always been open to looking at new classes as long as he can expect at least 5 boats at each event...Thoughts?????
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187eboat.jpg

dmontzsta
    There they go...leaving the Ford out again. :220v:

MikeF
    New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:

MikeF
    To make an old raceboat a "raceworthy" 1500#'s would be difficult at best.
    Other than that, I REALLY like the idea.

Dave Sammons
    Here's the specs:
    cubic inches: 350 Cubic Inches
    liters: 5.7 Liters
    horsepower: 355 Horsepower @ 5,250 RPM
    torque: 405 ft/lbs @ 3500 RPM
    compression ratio: 10.0 to 1
    block: 4-bolt, cast iron, 4.000" bore
    crankshaft: Forged Steel, 3.480" stroke
    pistons: Hypereutectic
    head, chamber size: Aluminum, 58cc chamber
    valve sizes (i/e): 1.940" / 1.500"
    camshaft lift (i/e): 0.474" / 0.510" hydraulic roller
    cam duration (i/e): 208 / 221 degrees @ 0.050 lift
    price: $4095
    Mike...you got the right idea, lightboats/light motors could be some fun! :rollside: :rollside:

coolchange
    1500# for an aluminum head small block boat? Sounds kinda dull with a bunch of 6800 rpm possible motors runnin on the limiter at 5250. Seems like a new market for 1000cfm 650 Holleys at 1500 a pop. How about restrictor plates instead of a limiter. Watchin a pack of "don't go over 85" hit the limit 50 yds out of the corner is really boring, must be worse drivin 'em. Buuutt... I like the idea of an entry level or budget class with an equilizer ($$$$$$).

WaterBox
    There they go...leaving the Ford out again. :220v:
    Yea! And the MOPAR's Too. Racing with a speed limit, and rev-limiter's In a small CI. class? A bunch of crap, it is. :yuk:

WaterBox
    QUOTE=MikeF]New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:[/QUOTE]
    Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.

MikeF
    New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:
    Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.
    By the way, I don't make the rules. Mine is only an opinion.
    When you get walked away from on all straights and every turn, you are gonna want the boat that is in front of you, hence, you start off w/ the best stuff available. Then again, if you are just racing for fun, you can go out there w/ what you have already and you have found a place to play........just don't get in the way of those who want to be in front. :crossx:
    Another opinion, It would not good to rev limit them and run on the limiter the whole race. Very dirty. No way to get rid of the hydrocarbons. They should be electronic f.i., then the injectors could be shut off instead of the spark. Just food for thought. :idea:

superdave013
    QUOTE=MikeF]New short,skinny, and LIGHT flats could be made w/ today's materials and would fly. They could start by splashing the Starfire's. :220v: :boxed:
    Well there ya go! throwing the big Buck'$ into it. [ I assume that you are talking about today's materials as carbon fiber.] That's exactly what there trying to steer away from. Big $$$$$$$.[/QUOTE]
    You can spend as much as you want. Just don't go over the speed limit.
    At least that's how I read it.
    I like the idea. Kinda like a spec truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast