Got copied on this letter that was sent to the APBA. Writer makes some good points. Of course, his letter has a few questions that need to be answered and worked out like: is 85-90mph realistic with 385hp? Would think more in the mid to high 70's with a light boat...How manageable will it be to drive ON the rev-limiter the length of the chute...With our short chute's and single pin turns on the west coast, 1:09's I guess would be the gear...What would the "BIG" name engine builders charge to "blueprint" one of these ZZ4'S for a "bucks-up" guy that wanted to run the class? Could the rev-limiter truly be the equalizer? In the end though, I appreciate his thought process and desire to build flatbottom circle racing from the ground up. Yes, the Nostalgia Flat and Endurance classes are helping to do this on the West Coast, but, it is not the cure-all. Pretty sure that grass roots SCCA, Nascar and most local Sprint Car Associations have adopted similar combinations to build interest. In my conversations with Ross Wallach of the SCSC/APBA, he has always been open to looking at new classes as long as he can expect at least 5 boats at each event...Thoughts?????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5187eboat.jpg