Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Belt Problem

JetBoatRich
    New Blower owner question,
    Went out this weekend and had a Belt Shread for my blower. The belt only had a few hours on it. I put my spare on and was running around the lake just fine, as we were returning to the ramp the other belt came off?
    I had an additional problem where water is seeping in the engine compartment? Changed one boot for the cable was tore, still have water?
    Do think the pulleys getting wet could throw the belt?
    I'm sure no easy answers

Fiat48
    Check blower pulley and idler alignment using a straight edge. Possibly loose idler or bracket. Don't see why water would cause the belt to come off.

Infomaniac
    Yea what Fiat48 says.
    Also what kind of blower? Detonation will cause the idler to come loose.
    Also check the balancer if it is not double keyed.

JetBoatRich
    Thanks I will check it out, I found a mark on the main pulley frown

Blown 472
    Where is the idler mounted? if it is a clamp style around the snout it might be coming loose, or if it mounts to the block make sure it is aligned, also if the belt is hanging off one or more of the pullies it will start to come apart, 1/2 pitch belt??

HP350SC
    Jet boat rich- Not sure what blower you have but if it's a B&M spring loaded tensioner make sure the stud you use to remove the belt is not contacting the belt.You'll know if your belt was chewed up directly in line with the stud.Once I got my setup right I removed the stud altogether and cut a bolt to the proper length to use when removing the belt.Once everthing is aligned right you shouldn't have to take the belt off much anyway.Mine has been on two years with no problems.

JetBoatRich
    Belt has been on there for years, I changed it I bought the boat. Chewed one up in the morning, next run out threw off the spare. It is a spring loaded, everything turns good no extra movement?
    I will go through it again and look for something to stand out

HP350SC
    JetBoatRich- Kinda hard to explain,but I had the exact same problem.First off,where was belt chewed up,down the center or the edge? You need to have a minimum of 1/2" travel before the tensioner is fully bottomed to allow for expansion. Do you have the threaded stud which comes out on the opposite side as the tensioner pulley? If so, did you remove the nut after installing the belt? Even with 5/8" clearance between the belt and the stud,mine still hit at certain times.This happens during sudden decel. as the belt flops around.Without a picture it's hard to tell what's going on but I hope this helps.

hulshot
    is this one of the small blowers that run the serp belt sytem.

Kurtis500
    Check your idler bracket!! It may seem stiff, but under a hard acceleration the blower starts resisting and puts strain on the idler pulley and bracket, pulling them inwards. I threw 3 belts before I found that problem. Now my bracket is TF style. No more flex. Some idler brackets are wimpy enough to flex right off the bat like mine was.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast