Thread: Questions on my 350 to 455 Olds conversion

Flip
    So, I'm upgrading from a 350 Olds to a 455 Olds. I guess the most obvious question to ask would be, what parts can I NOT reuse and what will I definately have to change?
    I know that the 2 motors share alot of parts. Other than a different intake manifold I'm planning on reusing most of my 350 parts on the 455 (water pump cover, valve covers, exhaust logs, distributor, motor mounts, fuel pump).
    The one thing I'm really not sure about the crank stuff. The 455 came with a big ol heavy FLYWHEEL while the 350 was using a FLEX PLATE. I'd rather run the flex plate. Also, what about the balancer? Can I use the 350 balancer? The 455 didn't come with one. Doh!

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm gonna put my $10 bet on the balancer and flexplate as "NO", and "NO", but I am not an olds guru.
    There's no way to run a 350 chevy balancing parts on a 454. Those internal parts are a lot different in weight.
    Guess it matters mostly if the 455 is internally balanced or not. I don't know.

I'm gonna put my $10 bet on the balancer and flexplate as "NO", and "NO", but I am not an olds guru.
    Pay up!
    A quick check of some parts sources makes it look like the 350 dampner and flywheel/flexplates can be interchanged. Probably the result of the 455 being essentially a talldeck version of the 350.
    Before reusing the balancer, take a good look at the rubber ring. If it is dry or shows substantial cracking, it is time for a new one. The rpms it sees in a boat are substantially higher than what it would see in a car so there is little margin for error.
    My suspicion is that you wouldn't be able to tell the performance difference between the flywheel and flexplate. If you use a flexplate, you should use a good SFI-approved one rather than a wimpy stocker.

Moneypitt
    I fail to see the reasoning behind NOT using a stock Olds flexplate in this application. All it does is engage the starter. After its started anything supporting the starter ring is just along for the ride. I have used stock GM flexplates, both internal and external balance on the PS boat and never had any problem. The only problem was from an aftermarket high dollar aluminum flywheel that lost the starter ring reving on the trailer. If you were trying to put the power to the ground, thru a converter, then I could see the reasoning behind the SFI aftermarket type. For this application I would use the stocker.........MP

Sleek-Jet
    All the parts should interchange. I'd spring for a new balancer though, it's cheap insurance. My Olds 455 ran a stock flexplate and I never had any problems with it.

Liberator TJ1984
    All the parts should interchange. I'd spring for a new balancer though, it's cheap insurance. My Olds 455 ran a stock flexplate and I never had any problems with it.
    +1 on this .....probably wouldn't set you back but $100 for both and be good insurance/investment

SmokinLowriderSS
    Well, I may be out the $10 (don't know a lot about Olds') but I'd reccomend a new balancer too and a stock flexplate, can't think of a good reason to go flywheel.

455Rocket
    If you're doing anything to an Olds you have to check out this website... this guy spent countless hours going through every year the block was used. The differences between the 455 442 and 350 are all spelled out along with some other goodies... it was a lifesaver when rebuilding my dinosaur. Good luck.
    http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofe455.htm