Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wake boarding question

jshirley78
    I know this isnt the wake boarding forum but help me out, I have never boarded before and am going to try for the first time this weekend. I know noone who has done it before, what speed does the boat need to be at, is a fast jerk like when you pull a skier what you want or is it better to have the driver ease into the power..... give me some tips/advice

hondajoey
    it depends on how strong you are, for me i like to be jerked up so i am on top of the water faster, i start with my back laying fairly flat to the water with the board pointing up keeping most of my weight to the rear of the board leaning back enough to keep the front of the board up like your sking, i ride with my right foot forward (goofy footed as they call it) so i basicly lock my left leg strait out underwater and let my right one come in a little as the boat starts to pull you up like you are being pulled off of the ground from laying flat. the boat also doesnt need to go much over 20mph unless your trying some big tricks. hope this helps

Keithb87
    Make sure that the rope is no longer than 50 feet if you are being pulled behind a Jet.

berk
    i learned my own way because the guys trying to teach me were jerking so hard i couldnt get myself together. try this: sit in the water and while holding the rope put both fists on the toes of the forward foot. then let the other foot trail behind wherever. have the boat ease into the power but not too slowly, and as the speed picks up you should be able to lift away from the toes and youre up! hope this helps.

AZKC
    Make sure that the rope is no longer than 50 feet if you are being pulled behind a Jet.
    Yeah you get a lot less slack in the rope on turns across the wakes

Flip
    Check out this thread:
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81957
    "Most" people get up faster and learn easier by NOT being jerked out of the water. Most of the time trying to teach someone how to wakeboard while jerking them outta the water just results in a bunch of face plants and a frustrated boarder. Funny to watch though.
    Just out of curiosity.... why did you post this in the Jets forum?

jshirley78
    Thanks for all the advice, lets see how long it takes me to figure it out now that I have an idea what to do. I tried water skiing a couple weeks ago for the first time and forgot to let go of the rope....once I could breathe again I couldnt stop laughing. And to answer the question of why post in the jet boat forum, doesnt look like anyone actually reads the wake boarding section

Flip
    Thanks for all the advice, lets see how long it takes me to figure it out now that I have an idea what to do. I tried water skiing a couple weeks ago for the first time and forgot to let go of the rope....once I could breathe again I couldnt stop laughing. And to answer the question of why post in the jet boat forum, doesnt look like anyone actually reads the wake boarding section
    Good luck. Just remember, don't get to frustrated, you're out there to have fun!

One thing we've always done, whether teaching someone to slalom ski or wakeboard, is to use the five time rule. Each new skier gets five attempts to get up. If no gold after the five, it's time for a break.
    I've taught more skiers than wakeboarders (mainly because I prefer skiing) and it's even more difficult to get up on a slalom than a wakeboard for first timers. I typically find that after five attempts they're pretty much worn out, and even if they get up, they probably won't last too long after that.
    Let the individual take a break, and possibly watch someone else for a bit. They may pick up on something they've been doing wrong and it'll give em a chance to take a little breather.
    Like the others have stated, patience is key. Encourage those attempts that were almost successful, and let them know how close they were. Easy on the gas with the wakeboard. It doesn't take much due to all the surface area of the board.
    The child's weight will play a factor, not so much how easy or difficult it is for the boat to pull them up, but rather that it takes more strength in their arms to hold their own weight. My son is 13 and goes 200+ pounds. It took many attempts/outings to get him up on a slalom ski. He's doing fine now and gets up the first time every time. He frustrates easily though and it took lots of patience to get him to this point.

1978 Rogers
    You also want the diverter up so it forces the ass of the boat in the water for a bigger wake. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast