Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 Tall Block ????????

Dans66Stevens
    ok please give me the scoop......Are these motor any good. Im thinking of building a new motor. I found a 427 Tall Block. Still in the Dump-Truck. Im just wondering if it will have a steel crank? Can I use a regular manifold with spacers? Will it make more H.P than a regular 427? Give me the scoop PLEASE!!!!!!!

triple x tx
    tall decks are suppose to be a little stronger block......should defintley have a steel crank and pink rods....yes you can run a regular manifold with spacers.......i was told the tall decks allow for bigger strocker cranks also but not sure.....those are pretty rare dudes id buy it if the price is right........p.s. gm also made a 366 tall deck that alot of those trucks had in them and they arent worth a shit.....make sure its not a 366!!!

Dans66Stevens
    Yes I am aware of the 366. I will get the #s and check them. Its a real good deal..

GofastRacer
    Dans, I have a genuine "427 Truck block" and they are stout, I had it sonic checked, the thinest cylinder wall was .362 and the thickest was .431... The reason that they are a tall deck is because they have a 4th ring on the piston for heavy duty use and the piston is taller..The only thing is they were made before the 454 came out so, there is no clearance at the bottom of the cylinders for a 454 stroke but it can be machined very easily...It's a piece of cake to make a 496 out of it..They came with a steel crank but the rods are 3/8th's bolt truck rods...Also, the distributor is a different lengh...As as manifolds go, you can buy one made for the the tall deck which will take a regular distributer and no spacers.......Them suckers are hard to find anymore, how much can you get it for??...If the the price is right, BUY it!!..

77charger
    i have a neighbor who also has one says when i am ready for a bbc let him know.he also has a 454 too both motors are stock.tells me that the 427 has the steel crank and all that.he is a heavy duty truck mechanic and told me the 427 also came out of a water truck

Dans66Stevens
    Its kinda funny but the motor is still in the truck. I can buy the hole thing for $ 800. I will split with a friend. The friend wants the dump truck.... So $400 will be the cost... http://www.plauder-smilies.com/jump.gif

boatguy222
    Hey Dan,
    I am running a truck block in my Bezer, I am running a 4.25 crank and a 4.32 bore for a 498ci. The crack should be forged, the rods have 3/8s bolts in them, but are supose to be little stronger than regular rods, the heads are very small port, pistons are cast.
    The idea for running a truck block is you can put a longer rod and or stroke in the block. if you are going to run the stock rotating parts there is no advantage to runing a truck block, in fact it with the extra oil ring, it won't run as well as a regular block, because of the extra drag from the ring.
    $400 is not a bad price for a truck
    block, so if you want to build a stroker motor, you won't get hurt.
    Good luck,
    Marc

jeff-in-ky
    They are not that hard to find, I sold a short block last year for $175.00 and the person I sold it to has several.

LakesOnly
    Dan66,
    My friend Mikey (S-WIND DRAGSTER) is building one of these engines this very minute. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
    The standard deck 427 has a 9.8 inch deck height from crank centerline; the tall deck has a 10.2 inch deck height.
    The 427 tall deck was the highly sought after block for boats (usually for blower motors in the 80's) because the only other alternative for long-rod stroker motors (at that time) was from Merlin and originally cost around $3200. Today the Merlin block is around $1600. Some builders still prefer the tall deck over a stock 454 block.
    These motors do not have TRUE Ed Pink rods but do have a beefier GM big block rod (ED Pink may have had some input for this rod).
    The 4.25 inch stroke crank WILL fit without any clearance notching or machining required BUT you must run a special stroker rod designed for the clearance (such as the rod available from Eagle). I think .060" over with this crank brings us the 498 inches (?).
    This is the preferred set-up by many for a slower-rotating-mass stroker motor.
    The additional deck height was for the added piston ring that was added for the motor's heavy load application, but you really don't want to run those pistons; it's the block (and maybe the crank) that you want. There are more custom piston/rod combinations available for this motor from various manufacturer's than you will ever need. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Bare blocks typically go for $300 around here; if you can get a whole motor for $400, jump on it.
    LO
    [This message has been edited by LakesOnly (edited May 23, 2002).]

eliminator777
    Tall deck blocks Work great,I've got 3 #1is 505 cubic in.#2 is 512 cobic in.#3is 525 cubic in. Long rods Meaty pistons Hi nickle content most had steel cranks early 377's didn'tyou can't go wrong with a tall deck. When they ran BBC. in top fuel cars in the old days every one ran tall decks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast