Thread: Transom housing to boat???

Do i need a gasket or should i just use silicon... or both?
    My kit didnt come with one so i wasnt sure.

El Prosecutor
    Do i need a gasket or should i just use silicon... or both?
    My kit didnt come with one so i wasnt sure.
    I would use a gasket, a little grease and NO silicone. I just rebuilt mine and found out that 1) siliconed transom adapters are a :skull: to remove, and 2) I had no leaks at all without the silicone.
    On the other hand, I did use silicone (and no O ring) where the bowl meets the adapter, but that is easy enough to cut through with a razor knife when the time comes to remove it. Good luck with your project - it is about that time of year!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I used silicone and its a biotch to remove. I now and switching to the gasket

i like the silicone with no gasket method myself.
    if the adapter doesnt fit on the hull well or there is a large gap between the adapter and the hull a gasket is in order with some silicone.
    CS

I just planned on using the silicon but when i start holding it up it just seamed like it might be better to have a gasket and some silicon on both sides. I'll probably just go the silicon route, i don't remember there being a gasket when i riped this thing apart.

poncho-pwr
    I can tell you what not to do. Do not use Marine 5200 adhesive/sealant. It is very difficult to get off and totally not needed for your application. That is what the guy I bought my boat from used after replacing the pump on the transom housing adapter and where the bowl seals to the transom adapter and I was cussing him when I had to pull it all off for the first time after I bought it. When I put it all back together I used some 100% pure aquarium silicone that I bought at a local salt water fish tank store and it works great. You can also remove it without too much trouble. I would also recommend that you tape off the area around the transom housing adapter about 1/8" to 1/4" out from the edges of the transom housing before you stick it to the boat so that when you put on the housing and smooth out the silicone ( use a penny for that) you can pull the tape and have nice neat edges instead of a sloppy shade tree looking silicone job. You can do it the same way around the bowl.

I'm using GE Silicon II door and window to seal everything up. Decided to just use silicon and not get a gasket.
    Thanks for the help!

Never silicone a TA to the transom. There's no reason to do so.(unless you have a set back pump or are using a glass TA) Just silicone the gasket to the housing, let it dry then coat the side of the gasket that's going to fit against the transom with white grease. Coat the rubber bowl ring with grease and install the TA. This way it'll never leak and it's a piece of cake to remove down the road. Did it like this for decades and have never had a leaker.

poncho-pwr
    Both transom adapters I have had were fiberglass so I siliconed them. Mine also didn't have any kind of rubber ring around the bowl, am I missing something?

Both transom adapters I have had were fiberglass so I siliconed them. Mine also didn't have any kind of rubber ring around the bowl, am I missing something?
    Nope, I'm talking about a stock berkeley set up, which I'm assuming Shaun has here. He did say he bought a kit with gaskets, not a glass TA.
    At Advantage, years ago, we offered a glass TA, probably like yours, for the set back set-ups and the only way to seal that one is with silicone.