Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: av gas mix

kojac
    When I bought my jetboat in 1982 the boat came with a 460 cubic in big block chevy and the engine ran 12-1 compression. closed chambered heads. The guy I bought it from used VP gas and sold the boat mainly because he could not afford the race gas. I didn't like the of paying the high price of gas either but a friend of mine who worked at a small airport told me he used 100+ low lead gas in his 32 hot rod with a 13-1 compression chrysler hemi and it was 1/2 the price of VP gas. I used the avgas for 8 years with no detonation problems. Set the timing at 39 degrees and ran the boat hard every weekend. When I decided to take the motor apart to check bearings and rings I found pistons, cylinder walls and rings and bearing in good shape. I just didn't know any better. I used nitrous 250hp plate on many occasions with avgas and had no adverse experiences. Hope this helps.
    Kojac wink

moonlighter
    I`m a new member please don`t think I`m coming in here attempting to tell you guys anything have been reading this AV. gas debate that`s been going on for some time and didn`t see info. that I have discussed so I decided not to put off becoming a member and add what I`ve learned with you. I`ve been using a product called MAX RACE for 11 years and selling it for 10 I feel it`s a very cost-effective solution to most of the fuel problems encountered today. Don`t misunderstand this is NOT 104 the web site is www.pricechemical.com this might be of assistance and I`ll be happy to answer any questions I can, use it in a 468 12-1 and a blown 555 9-1 but if you study info 1 quart of Max-Race with 10 gal.of prem.unleaded is good to 13-1after that some otherprocedures are recomended but I have to believe majority of motors out here recreational in nature are going to be under the 13-1 variety. Once again just my experience and want to say hello to everyone and hopr to participate in your forums in the future nice to think of other things than the world today.

Kindsvater Flat
    gnarley:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Sleek-Jet:
    Gnarley, most crop dusters have gone to tubine power which means that they burn kerosene.

Sleek-Jet, I haven't seen any of the turbine powered dusters out here, maybe its a regional thing. I've been up & down our central valley for many years & have yet to see one. The point I was trying to make was avgas has been around as long as radial powered crop dusters & they were never intended too fly at high altitude even though they might, they do 99% of their flying at ground level Here is one that was spraying at the house tonight. Duster

bkegan
    Sounds like a fellow aviator!! BRAVO

MANIC MECHANIC
    Is AVGAS that stuff I used to siphon out of air planes? It didnt do s***t for my '72 Vega! wink Seriously though, according to an article in ***boat sometime back, AVGAS is formulated to burn extremely cool, lacking the quik hot burn neccessary for maximum performance. they suggest mixing it with pump fuel to raise the octane for higher compression or blown recreational boat engines. Just MY .02! Tim

skeepwerkzaz
    FYI,
    The turbine engine ag-wagons come in a few different varieties. One is called the "Turbo Thrush" (Turbo as in turbo-prop) and the new "AG-CAT." They both come from the factory with a Pratt and Whitney PT6 free turbine turboprop, optional of course is the fixed turbine Garrett (now Honeywell) TPE-331-10. Both of these engines are rated between 600-800 SHP.
    Gee-Wiz info,
    Clay

skeepwerkzaz
    Hey Vader,
    Cool video, I would one day like to get into dusting. Those guys are on top of it. Sounds to me by your giggling, that you get a kick out of it too!
    Clay

Kindsvater Flat
    skeepwerkzaz:
    FYI,
    The turbine engine ag-wagons come in a few different varieties. One is called the "Turbo Thrush" (Turbo as in turbo-prop) and the new "AG-CAT." They both come from the factory with a Pratt and Whitney PT6 free turbine turboprop, optional of course is the fixed turbine Garrett (now Honeywell) TPE-331-10. Both of these engines are rated between 600-800 SHP.
    Gee-Wiz info,
    Clay Those guys are actually very good friends of mine. Tiger used to race jet boats for awhile. They also used to go down to AZ during the winter and fly down there. There business is called " Jones Flying Service" Dale's kid is flying now and dumped a radial almost 2 yrs ago. He was lucky. Broken neck and had to wear a halo for 3 months.
    If you ever get a chance go ride with one of them. I got to even if it was in the hopper.
    [ February 15, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Kindsvater Flat ]

Sangster
    Hey Mike .....Sounds like your Holdin' the Camera with "ONE HAND" again...... eek! eek!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567