Thread: Want to go faster

fxinc
    Any suggestions on getting more top end speed without breaking the bank, plus reliability?
    Here are my specs.
    20'Baja Hotshot 3300lbs
    Stock 5.7 mercruiser/alpha one gen2
    thru hull w/silent choice
    SS rapture 25 pitch.
    Boat currently runs 55-58 at 4000rpm(went to smaller pitch prop, same speed but 600-700 more rpm)
    Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated

Racing Ray
    Sorry but the formula for speed is as follows;
    cubic dollars X cubic dollars = more speed.
    eek!

Tee
    Hey, be carefull about getting much more speed out of that hull. Fun little boat But not designed for speed IMHO. There was a reason Baja wouldn't put anything stronger than 5.7L in that little sucker, I ordered mine and the factory flat refused to power it with anything more. I had a 96 (Baja changed the Name to Outlaw from Hot Shot in 96. But it was the exact same boat) In 98 I bolted on a B&M 144 and put 5psi to it. At just over 65 it developed a VIOLENT chine walk, cracked 2 ribs on my right side and almost threw the X out on one trip. Tried adding tabs, then bigger tabs. Four blade props, nose cone, took the hook out of the bottom. Nothing worked. Seriously, that is a good looking boat and alot of fun to drive. But don't over power the thing.
    The things I did before blower were,
    1)Tossed the 2 barrel over the side and put on a 4 barrel double pumper 650cfm and Performer RPM intake.
    2)Stainless Risers and thru hull exhaust.
    3)Eliminated the circulating pump and put a cross over kit on it. (I still have that kit, and its for sale if your interested?)
    4)Pulled the floor and had a 36 gallon tank made for it. (I have the plans for that still also. Send me a mail and I will fax them to you.)
    5)Cut in some cabin hatches. Just like the 25 Outlaw had.
    6)I also cut out the dash and built my own. Got the guages up where you could see them. I have a pic of the finnished product somewhere.
    Anyway, that put me just over the 60 mark at 3600ft elevation and it was a blast to drive with a strong holeshot and strong midrange/cruising.
    Drop me a mail if you have any other questions.
    Tee
    P.S. I take that back, I did end up solving the chine walking problem. I traded it in on a CAT
    [ July 18, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Tee ]

DogHouse
    Tee:
    ... and almost threw the X out on one trip...Sounds like the boat had that situation figured out before you did!!!
    Howdy Tee! wink

Tee
    Hello there Doghouse.
    How's the motor comming? I plan on being on the dyno in 2 to 3 weeks
    I think your right. The Baja knew what was comming and was trying to save me years of aggrivation and thousands upon thousands of dollars
    Spent Tue night in your airport Missed my connection from Dallas and it was the last one of the day
    You been over on mltdwn's site yet?
    Laters ------- Tee

DogHouse
    Boat is back together. Motor dyno'd last week. We got the steady state a/f ratios pretty well sorted out for the most part, although it is still a little fat about 6k. Going to the lake tomorrow with a laptop to finish tuning the "driveability" parameters, i.e. starting, warmup, and acceleration enrichments. Glad to hear that you'll have yours back soon as well!
    I briefly looked at the site, and I still owe him some pictures. I've been super busy outside of work lately trying to get my rig back together while not alienating the entire family!