Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Cat's Blow Over?

SummerBreeze
    If you start to feel the air under the cat (lift off) should you use your trim to get the nose down? While keeping the gas on.

Bigyellowcat
    we were at loto last weekend and went 80 the whole time through the roughest stuff on that lake. and i was sitting in my seat holding a can of coke and it did not even spill, i only lifted once that i thought the span inbetween waves was going to be long enough for my motors to come up in rpm, a big heavy cat could probably not be beat in thouse waters.

Jrocket
    Craig:
    Yup, maybe not this time, but damn near it eek! Boat went up even higher after I snapped the shot!
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140larry5-med.jpg[/img] I seem to remember this picture from awhile back.Looks scarry as hell...

Craig
    Yeah, I opriginally posted it after the Parade of Lights. Funny thing is the two in the boat didn't realize just how high they went until they saw this pic later that night They thought it was just another fun ride.

Havasu Hangin'
    Jrocket:
    I remember that story!!!Yeah...happened a couple times that day. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
    Havasu Cig:
    ...and the boat just got a wierd light feeling, and then started going sideways...That "crabbing" was the scariest feeling I've had to date. I mean...if the stern is moving around, it feels more like a being on a skipping stone than a boat...

Havasu Cig
    Yeah I would have to say it was probably the Scarriest feeling I have had as well. I remember turning the wheel at the time and I had no control at all. Once I backed out of the throttles it straightened out. That is the only time my other 1/2 has ever been scarred in a boat as well. Nothing usually scares her at all.
    The spin in our other 26 happed so fast I did not have time to think about it. Our back seat passenger was hurting for a while after that, but at least he avoided going for a swim (barely).

Dave C
    I have had 2 sort-of-fast cats, 21 Elim & 22 Cougar.
    During "calm" conditions, they both got "light" but never felt scary, rather under control as if the tunnel was designed for controlling the air.
    Well since it is never "calm" at the lake, my 22 feels a bit out of control sometimes in heavy surf but not to the point where it wants to blow over. It seems if you work with the throttle, you have alot of control.
    I have "skipped" and "seat-changed" a few semi-v/flat bottoms before and that is a different feel.
    Does anyone know if the cat has an equal amount of downforce as lift over its hull as it moves throught the air? It seems reasonable that it controls the air to some extent?
    Otherwise wouldn't it porpoise and move more at high speeds rather than hold rock solid in "calmer" water?
    I noticed that the 21 Elim had quite a unique shape on the top that I assumed created downforce.

Havasu Hangin'
    Dave C:
    Does anyone know if the cat has an equal amount of downforce as lift over its hull as it moves throught the air? It seems reasonable that it controls the air to some extent?
    Otherwise wouldn't it porpoise and move more at high speeds rather than hold rock solid in "calmer" water?
    I noticed that the 21 Elim had quite a unique shape on the top that I assumed created downforce. Hmmmm...not sure about that.
    Keep in mind I'm not an expert (kind of an idiot, really)...
    ...but if that were true, a cat would run the same in any wind. Most cats I've been in run faster into the wind, which would make me believe that more air speed = more lift.
    I would think trim and tunnel design have alot to do with the angle of attack (unless you are in a really big cat)...which would affect how the air is packed (and/or released).
    ...but what do I know.

Charley
    Havasu Hangin':
    ...which would affect how the air is packed (and/or released).
    ...but what do I know. no shit dude... why are you even in this section??
    Just kidding wink

hboldno7
    BADBLOWN572:
    I think that too many people have been led to believe that "cat" is more like "kite." I have been in and around cats for the past 20 years and I have never personally seen one blow over. Can it happen, no doubt! I honestly do not think that I will ever own another V bottom and blowing a cat over is the last thing on my mind when I take one out. I am much more worried about lake lice than blowing over! Don't let a lot of the myths about cats discourage you from riding in one or owning one. A good friend's wife hated cats until she rode in one and now she loves them! They are a good time! BB572 never has to worry about his blowing over, its got plenty of stereo equipment holding it down. Hahaha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast