Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all 20.5 eliminator cruiser

Scape Goat
    what strut angle are you running and location(is it in the recess spot)
    what gears in the v drive
    what prop are you running(brand and size)
    pics if you have them
    thanks brian

dmontzsta
    What happened around the rudder?
    I will look at my dads, you want to know how far it is from the transom to where the strut starts?
    I have no idea about the specs, my dad doesnt attempt to go super fast. The motor is a near stock 460, boat gps'd 55mph with 5 FAT guys and 40 gallons of fuel. I know it is a 3 blade and the boat pulls skiiers up like a mofo.

Scape Goat
    Sounds about right
    would like to know info to help me on mine
    exspecialy the prop and gear ratio
    the rudder area came that way to me , looks like that is how they try to stoped the leak

ScapeGoat
    Did a little research and had the boat look at. Looks like I will have to strip the boat and start over.
    frist problem: motor is to far forward.
    second problem: gearbox needs to be change so I can put taller gears.
    Prop: could have swore the boat came with a menkins when it was for sale, must have mispelled bronze precission, it happens
    All the pick ups in bad spots.
    oh and what cause this thing to kick the tail out, is said to be this water pick up that looks like a damn shovel welded up.
    alot of work to do and gonna be a slow project. but I will eventualy be able to drive this thing safely and have stable handling. I am not looking for speed or bragging rights with this project. Just want it cleaned up so It won't sit in someone elses garage, like it seem to have done for most of its existance.
    130 hrs from 1980
    to be continued

dmontzsta
    Who have you been talking to about this?

bocco
    Scapegoat,
    Mine is the white boat in the pic you posted. It appears to bo set up exactly the same as yours. So much for rigging by Connelly Boats.
    I'm curious who looked at your boat. I agree with the motor being to far forward. It also cuts into the interior room.
    Do you have 2 water pickups? One for the engine and on for the trans/V-drive. I thought about putting pickups on the plates and filling the holes but I'm not sure how much plate is in the water at speed due to the space between the plates.
    Gary

superdave013
    before you go crazy why not try a different prop?
    You could move the engine all around and it won't do to much. The strut angle and location is the big factor. But before you go redoing everything play with some props.
    Looks like the prop wash is getting to the bottom of the boat a bit. That white stuff looks like Marine Tex. Just sand it smooth for now.

bocco
    Also I am running a 12x16 3 blade steel prop with a little cup on it. 15% gears in a C500. I think it is too much pitch for the boat. But I was thinking like an IO guy and adding pitch until the the RPMs came down.
    When I dumped my bronze prop for a steel one I tried 3 different props from Joe Shelfo at GT boats in Cordelia. The first one was cool looking 3 blade cleaver type deal. To much slip, RPMs to the limit and no top end. The second one was a more standard big eared 3 blade that was over 12 in diameter and to close to the bottom of the the boat. The one I have now is just under 12 diameter. Joe worked it several times for until I decided it wasn't goint to take any more pitch.
    If I had a little more time and money to burn I would love to try that first prop with way taller gears like 29s maybe. But changing gears on a C500 is a pain. So I'm going to just live with and call it a cruiser for now. I'm just hitting 60 on a good day at 5000 RPM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast