Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advise on shaft rockers

Racing Ray
    I use the Comp Cams #26082. I have great spring life but again it is relative to how long your at 7500 RPM. LOL!
    This same spring is recommended for Drag Racing and Marine apps and designed with high endurance in mind.
    Marine Springs

565edge
    I beleive the spring your using is identical to the comp cam 948,i either have the 947's or the 948's,im trying to find paperwork,just trying to find out how long they will last,The boat is a lake/race boat,one of these days i will make it to ming?I usually run this on the lake though around 4000 rpm with some 7000rpm plus blast,i dont hold it down very long though and try not to idle around too much,sometimes those 5mph zones suck,im sure its got to reek havik on the lifters,i run the crower sever duty lifters?

Racing Ray
    Weight is the killer on high lift valve trains. I chose Cranes Pro Series lifters for that reason. Dave Crower is a great guy and has come through for me on Cranks several times. Top notch quality either way. I think you are correct the 948-16 is the old part number same spring. Triple spring Pacalloy material.

565edge
    What is your take on rev-kits?One guy says to run them and the next says no?Do you have any advice on this?

Racing Ray
    In my opinion they are old school. They had a real purpose prior to the development of today's springs. With improvements in valve springs and extreme seat pressures available now I don't think they have any advantage on proper spring applications. Camshaft ramp technology and spring design advances have negated their use.
    Remember the idea behind a rev-kit is to keep the lifter from bouncing on the cam. If you get the tools and keep an eye on spring pressures they won't be needed. If you want to get lazy and wait until something breaks you might consider them.
    I would suggest running the valves no less than every other time out. Not because the Jesels may loosen they wont, but as needle bearings on the rockers or lifters wear and you see that extra lash on one or two rockers you will know it is time to look deeper into what is going on. Find the problem before it causes an even bigger one.
    I know lots of others are reading this thread I always have an opinion but it is not always right, feel free to jump in if your experiances tell you something different.

GofastRacer
    You're absolutely right, rev kits were a mandatory item due to steep ramps and the lifter would shoot itself off the lobe on the way down. But technology has come a long way and with these new profiles and spring combinations a rev kit is not mandatory with a lot of these profiles. I still would check with the cam MFG to make sure whether you need one or not with your particular cam choice and also get the springs that go with that cam. A tip on spring life:, if you park it for more than a couple of days, back off the rockers, springs will lose tension while compressed, you'll be surprised how much longer they will last!..Just my experience!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12