Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VaC PUMP QUESTIONS

steelcomp
    Who can tell me what I need to know about running a vac pump? What I know so far is there are basically two designs...a three blade, and a four blade. The three is for wet sump, and the four is for dry. This I don't understand, since the dry sump already has a source of vacuum. I see Moroso and Aerospace make pumps and drives. I know Stef's makes an automotive style pump.
    So. How much vac. is enough, and how much is too much? How fast should the pump turn? Which is the best setup for the $$?
    And last, does anyone have a set up for sale?

WILDERTHANU
    PROVEN HP. Aerospace sells a great pump, they make a 3 and 4 vane. Around 15" with a wet sump oiling system, over that and I understand the oil mist is reduced to the point where you can lose lubrication to the wrist pins and cylinder walls. I think 15" is fine in a drag race application because the engine is at that RPM for such a short period of time. Install a vacuum relief valve that mounts to your valve cover that can be preset between 12" and 20" of vacuum. I run a pan-vac system through my headers that pulls around 4" which is not worth much.

River or race engine Scott?
    There is another thread about this that I started a few years ago, some good info there...
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...t=vacuum+pumps
    Ive had good luck with mine, a little maintenece here and there. I'm running the 3 vein moroso, had about 13" on the dyno, engine still has good vacuum after 2 seasons on the riv and 7 races at ming.Im running low tension piston rings with it.
    Jones Racing Products makes the killer cog belt drive systems along with trick mounts for the pump.
    www.Jonesracingproducts.com

DeputyDawg
    You can't go wrong with the moroso system with regulator mounted on the pump itself. Check out Reher Morrison Race engines website www.rehermorrison.com they usually have good deals and can tell you whatever you want to know.

steelcomp
    Thanks guys. This is going to be for my NA 467, pretty much like your deal, Chris. Little race, little river, race on the river, you know. I'm not running low tension rings, as this is kind of an after thought. I know there's good HP available, just kind of expensive. Probably worth it in the long run, though.
    You can't go wrong with the moroso system with regulator mounted on the pump itself. Check out Reher Morrison Race engines website www.rehermorrison.com they usually have good deals and can tell you whatever you want to knowThanks, DD...I'll definately check that out.
    PROVEN HP. Aerospace sells a great pump, they make a 3 and 4 vane. Around 15" with a wet sump oiling system, over that and I understand the oil mist is reduced to the point where you can lose lubrication to the wrist pins and cylinder walls. I think 15" is fine in a drag race application because the engine is at that RPM for such a short period of time. Install a vacuum relief valve that mounts to your valve cover that can be preset between 12" and 20" of vacuum. I run a pan-vac system through my headers that pulls around 4" which is not worth much. Thanks Wilder...I'm currently running pan evac, but don't think it's doing much. I think this motor deserves a little more.
    Thanks again.

UBFJ #454
    Scott -
    The best vacuum pump on the market in my opinion is the Auto Verde made in Sweden ... There U.S. distributor is located in Costa Mesa. The majority of NASCAR cars are now running them. They're pricey, but, well worth the money in terms of what you get performance wise.
    We've been running a six (6) stage 28mm Auto Verdi for several years now and and are quite happy with it. Typically, we run 19 to 20 inches of vacuum ... but never allow the pump to evacuate more than 22 inches ... will suck the rod & crank bearings dry if more than that. Also, we run Royal Purple R-11 (synthetic 5/20 equivalent). Inspections of our bearings after last tear down showed they could have gone another 100 or so passes.

cdog
    Who can tell me what I need to know about running a vac pump? What I know so far is there are basically two designs...a three blade, and a four blade. The three is for wet sump, and the four is for dry. This I don't understand, since the dry sump already has a source of vacuum. I see Moroso and Aerospace make pumps and drives. I know Stef's makes an automotive style pump.
    So. How much vac. is enough, and how much is too much? How fast should the pump turn? Which is the best setup for the $$?
    And last, does anyone have a set up for sale?
    My friend runs comp eliminator in NHRA and he says they pick up 50+ HP on 900hp engines with them. I believe they use the Aerospace pumps. I think it's a combo between ring gap and drag. The more ring gap the move blow by the engine will produce but the more HP the engine will produce due to lower drag on the cylinder walls/ the more vacume you will need to suck the crankcase blow by out. Keep in mind these are special purpose race engines.

steelcomp
    I jusr went through the previous thread about vac systems, and got a lot of good info. I do have one more question. Does anyone have any experience with CF valve covers and vac systems?
    The Aerospace system seems OK...a lot cheaper than the Moroso setup, by over $100.00, but wondering about quality.
    Bear...I wish I had the budget for something as nice as the pump you guys run, but not this go-round.
    Thanks again for all then good input. I was worried that since I'm not running low tension rings, and don't have light pistons, etc. weather or not the benefit is worth the expense. Seems it is.
    One vac system, coming up! Jeez! Another $X00.00!!!!! :220v:

I have not seen a vacuum pump like we are talking about by auto verdi yet.
    Ive seen plenty of their dry sump set ups like Jak's engine has,but not one of the moroso style pumps that mount on the cylinder head.
    CS

steelcomp
    Is there anyone who can tell me about Aerospace's stuff? I'm mostly interested in quality and reliability issues. Their vac system is over $100 less than the Moroso set up, but if it dosen't hold up, it's worthless to me. I'm always sceptical about the "good deal". Their web site is pretty darn cool! Fun navigating with cool sound effects.
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast