Thread: How many hours is considered "high milage"

79Hawaiian
    How many hours should one expect to get from a stock 454 with berk jet? 300? 1000? 2000?
    Of course how it is driven and maintained counts but I am curious what the average is.

BrendellaJet
    I think a read in hot boat that 600-700 hours on a motor is a respectable amount of time for a motor to be in service. This of course depends on driving style. Not sure about the pump though.

78Eliminator
    79Hawaiian:
    How many hours should one expect to get from a stock 454 with berk jet?I would guess somewhere around 200-500. It just depends on how the engine was built. Was it built as an endurance motor or a drag motor? Did the machinist do all the little things that make the difference in a long or short life? Do you change the oil religiously? Do you go for short burst or just mash the throttle down wide open for hours on end?
    So many variables but I would say a decent engine's bottom end should last about 300ish.

BOFH
    Stock engines on a Chris Carft cruiser... I have 1800 total, with one rebuild at 1000, and just did a rebuild on the starboard.

HM
    78Eliminator:
    79Hawaiian:
    How many hours should one expect to get from a stock 454 with berk jet?I would guess somewhere around 200-500. It just depends on how the engine was built. Was it built as an endurance motor or a drag motor? Did the machinist do all the little things that make the difference in a long or short life? Do you change the oil religiously? Do you go for short burst or just mash the throttle down wide open for hours on end?
    So many variables but I would say a decent engine's bottom end should last about 300ish.Holy Crap! You guys putting sand in your oil! I think some people need a little maintenance lesson or lessons!
    300 hours on a stock 454 is just getting broken in!
    1000 should be easily attained with good maintenance. 2000 is still definitely doable. 3000 and you are a maintenance god. 4000 and you definitely did not get a lemon!
    Running the motor hard is one thing, but preventative maintence when the motor is not running is the real key. Fogging, gas stabalizers, oil stablizers, oil modifiers, and making sure you run it a few times a month, even if it is on the trailer are all key.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    I agree with HolyMoly. As a reference, 75000 miles at 60 mph is 1250 hours. Granted, your 454 is spinning higher rpm's but also consider that your motor is running in a dust free enviroment. I'd say that 2000-3000hrs would be about right.
    My 02's worth..........LDFTRBT

Hotcrusader76
    HolyMoly:
    78Eliminator:
    79Hawaiian:
    So many variables but I would say a decent engine's bottom end should last about 300ish.Holy Crap! You guys putting sand in your oil! I think some people need a little maintenance lesson or lessons!
    300 hours on a stock 454 is just getting broken in!
    1000 should be easily attained with good maintenance. 2000 is still definitely doable. 3000 and you are a maintenance god. 4000 and you definitely did not get a lemon!
    Running the motor hard is one thing, but preventative maintence when the motor is not running is the real key. Fogging, gas stabalizers, oil stablizers, oil modifiers, and making sure you run it a few times a month, even if it is on the trailer are all key.I just want to mention that turning the motor over once every two weeks to switch the pressure that is loaded on valve springs to another one of the 16 you have on those heads when it has been sitting would also be wise.
    I also agree that motor life depends on tolerances placed into the motor when building it, but the life could be quite lengthy if taken care of properly. I would say close to 6-8 years of life (with 2-3 times of use per month, for 9 months) wouldn't be surpriseing...if not more. But since we are all HP hungry, we never leave anything alone past 2 months to even measure that sort of time....
    -Ty

spectra75
    A lot of the people I've talked to seem to think 50 hours per year is average use for a boat. I would think that a motor that is well maintained and not too abused should last for several thousand hours. Key words here, "well maintained". Good advise has already been mentioned.
    Just my .02

502procharger
    so it is not normal for me to blow up an engine every year? hell i do it so much replacing a motor is like preventitive mantinance for me. LOL