Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanks HOTCRUSADER76 (Before/After Pic's)

LakesOnly
    Hallett19:
    did you put the carbs on yet ? or are you still trying to un-gum the works ? Yes, the carbs are installed.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350New_Motor_Overhead-med.jpg[/img]
    Flame arrestors and a Dooley scoop were put on, ran some fuel line, etc. The boat looks like this now:
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Southwind_Overhead-med.jpg[/img]
    Turned the ign. key on and switched on fuel pump pressure...no leaks. Pulled the distributor and put a drill to the oil pump drive...got oil pressure. I cranked the ignition.
    First came the obligatory flames out the top of the tunnel ram. The flame arrestors did their job, but I still had one hand on the ignition key while my other held the fire extinguisher, watching closely.
    Twist the distributor counter-clockwise, and crank again. Rough idle, rotate distributor clockwise and the new motor came to life.

It has maybe 40 seconds running time--enough to get timing in the ballpark with a light. That's all I really wanted to see while the boat is still on the trailer. I inted to rfinalize in the water.
    Monday, I planned on putting the boat in the water for some dialing-in, but it fell through. Gotta wait until next Monday.
    LO

LO....that thing looks too good to put it in the water. Good job, two thumbs up!

GofastRacer
    Lakes that is a class act, it's bitchin!. I like that mount you have for the filters, did you make that??..

Blown 472
    Bitchen ride, did you make up the front motor plate??

Back Forty
    Lakesonly, what type of coating is on your headers? Do the ceramic coatings come in black?
    Hell thats almost sexy looking.
    Very nice!

LakesOnly
    GofastRacer:
    Lakes that is a class act, it's bitchin!. I like that mount you have for the filters, did you make that??.. I acquired the boat with the filter set-up already installed. I'll find out what I can from the previous owner (left message).
    LO

LakesOnly
    Blown 472:
    Bitchen ride, did you make up the front motor plate?? Front and rear motor plates, once again, came with the boat. Take a look:
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Motor_Plate_Ft-med.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Motor_Plate_Rear-med.jpg[/img]
    I'll inquire with the previous owner where they came from and get back to you.
    Note that they mount to the rails, of course. The boat has a full-length rail kit for the full-length stringers and nothing bolts to the stringers except the rails. Everything from the rear motor plate to the front seats bolt to the rail kit.
    LO

LakesOnly
    Back Forty:
    Lakesonly, what type of coating is on your headers? Do the ceramic coatings come in black?
    Hell thats almost sexy looking.
    Very nice! Yeah...I like to be different. Besides, it works with the black gel-coat hull.
    I did not ceramic coat because my headers were pretty badly corroded. It is my understanding that since ceramic coating covers inside and out, it is best applied to new headers. I didn't want to spend hundreds on old headers only to have it be a wash.
    I believe ceramic coating is offered in a black that can withstand the heat. Also, there is some guy in Livermore, CA that supposedly can do any color you want.
    I used a hi-temp paint that doesn't even dry until you bake it...
    Years ago, I shot paint for in a booth, like DuPont Imron, etc. Lots of these coatings are no longer available in California--EPA reasons. Anyway, I had this gallon can of VHT 1200-degree Satin Black high temp paint still around. It was originally used by an aerospace company for their spacecraft so I knew it could handle temperature extremes. I recalled sandblasting/painting an exhaust manifold with it for a car some years ago, curing it in the oven as directed and it held up for years.
    So I took the sandblasted headers to a body shop and handed them the can and said, "paint." They took one look at the can and told me they didn't even want it in their shop for fear of getting cited! They eventually painted and then were perplexed because the paint wasn't drying. I was laughing so hard at them over the phone because I had forgotten about this characteristic, and told them to read the curing instructions on the can. The headers were sent to a ceramic coating place here on the San Francisco peninsula where they were baked in the ovens.

GofastRacer
    LakesOnly:
    GofastRacer:
    Lakes that is a class act, it's bitchin!. I like that mount you have for the filters, did you make that??.. I acquired the boat with the filter set-up already installed. I'll find out what I can from the previous owner (left message).
    LO Thank you!.

LakesOnly
    Okay, I put fresh plugs in and did some hard running today for a plug reading.
    The old motor GPS'd last year at 64.3 mph.
    The new motor GPS'd today at 73.5 mph with the same pump, same comp ratio and same camshaft. The motor smells rich and the plug reading backs up what my nose is telling me.
    So there is room for more power, more speed. Just re-jet, double-check timing (I think I can increase ign advance by two **** hairs), and maybe experiment with the diverter.
    Also, the desktop dyno suggests my peak HP at around 6800-7500. I am turning about 5200-5300. Certainly I could trim down my impeller for more top end. Right now, the boat leaps onto plane and hits like a giant slingshot.
    I have a short mpeg to which I will be posting a link.
    Oh and thanks again Ty.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Anderson_New_Motor-med.jpg[/img]
    It's great to be on the water again.
    LO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast