Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternator mounting??

wet77
    Still one last bug to work out on the new boat.
    I keep on loosing the alternator belt
    I think I just need some new ideas :messedup:
    If anyone can post pics of there setup it would be great!!
    I have the motor plate across the front of my engine (4 point rail)
    and its a daytona so the tunnels are right there too!
    Right now I have a long water pump 3 groove pulley on the crank and even shimmed out to work so I can align with the alt.
    Summer is almost gone around here and this would be a great problem to solve?
    I have looked at the rex marine mount your alt. to the harmonic balancer setup but that means my rear seat has to get moved up loosing what little room there is anyway.
    Any pics or links to mounts I could buy would be great!
    I have saddly spent over $100 in belts already trying to figure this mess out :messedup:

I went through a similar situation with mine. Mine slung off half a dozen belts before I found it. I made the mounts myself and would've swore that everything was square, but it wasn't. There was a mis-alignment between the two pulleys. It didn't take much to make it sling belts off.
    I went to work and got em aligned properly, and it hasn't slung a belt off all season.
    Look at the pulleys from the side and make sure that they're square. I found that any kind of offset at all, would cause the problem.

wet77
    I have been using a square across the face of the pully's to check for proper alignment and I thought it was right but there must still be some woble in the pulley on the crank to make it come off.
    I need to find a deep groove pulley, even more so than what I have already

Duane HTP
    Put one of the Moroso single deep groove pulleys on the crank shaft that slow down the alt by about 1/3 of the rpms. The alternator does not need to turn that fast. Also put the Moroso pulley to match on the alternator. Run a belt narrow enough that it does not fill the pulley to the top. This should solve your problem.

Jeanyus
    Here is how I did it on a tunnel bottom boat.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859alt.jpg
    Because of the tunnel, and motor mount plate, I had to put the alternator farther off to the side than I wanted, the front of the alternator is tilted up a little to match the pully on the engine. I also have a smaller pulley on the engine. So far 5900 rpms and the belt has not come off.

That's pretty slick.

wet77
    Here is how I did it on a tunnel bottom boat.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859alt.jpg
    Because of the tunnel, and motor mount plate, I had to put the alternator farther off to the side than I wanted, the front of the alternator is tilted up a little to match the pully on the engine. I also have a smaller pulley on the engine. So far 5900 rpms and the belt has not come off.
    Might have to copy your idea but I need to try some new pulley's first
    Thanks

wet77
    Oh hell with it I think I am going to just order that direct mount kit from Rex :220v:
    I measured my clearance and I would only half to move my rear seat up 1-2 inches
    More people in the back seat equals slower jet boat anyway right?? :rollside:
    I could half paid for half of this kit by now anyway with all the different belts I have bought :cry:

wet77
    Dragboats sent you a e-mail about your alt mount :idea:

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
    I bought mine from L & L Marine in so. cal. had to slightly modify the bracket so the alt. would tilt toward the block a little more. It works fine on my 1994 Eliminator 21 Daytona. Bracket (lwr) was only 22.50 and a short upper is all you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast