Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 Ford engine

Statue
    I have a 21' Charger jet. So far, nothing but a headache! i need to install a new engine and i am wondering what you guys think about the 460 Ford. Good or Bad. Looking for a reliable 50mph cruiser boat, not a 1/4 mile boat.
    I know that a stock 460 is a cast crank, I figure that it will only see aroud 4500 rpm. Any help is appreciated.

Do it up. Lots of us running the BBFs. For the speeds you're talking about, you could build a bone stock 460 and it'd last ya for many years.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Do it up. Lots of us running the BBFs. For the speeds you're talking about, you could build a bone stock 460 and it'd last ya for many years.
    Amen!!!!

mgar_red
    Original factory stock Indmar w/ original parts ( starter rebuilt ) on a heavy laid '78 Taylor gettin' a few tenths shy of 60 gps. Reliable?... I'd have to say so. Fast?... Enough for me when my eyes dry out from a run.

SB
    460 Fords are great. That crank is better than you think. We've had $100 junkyard engines we put in the boat that ran great for years. What do you have now?

IMPATIENT 1
    I have a 21' Charger jet. So far, nothing but a headache! i need to install a new engine and i am wondering what you guys think about the 460 Ford. Good or Bad. Looking for a reliable 50mph cruiser boat, not a 1/4 mile boat.
    I know that a stock 460 is a cast crank, I figure that it will only see aroud 4500 rpm. Any help is appreciated.
    i work for general motors and run bbf's.my own personal opinion is that they stay together longer and can take more abuse.i've had several bbc's and they didn't last long.
    just my 2 pennies :idea:

460 jus getn it
    i work for general motors and run bbf's.my own personal opinion is that they stay together longer and can take more abuse.i've had several bbc's and they didn't last long.
    just my 2 pennies :idea:
    now thats a good man.........i ran my ford to 5100rpm the first 5 min and its still going strong...................... the parts may be more $ but when i get on it i know it will last..................

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm a chevy guy, but only give the Fords a hard time in good nature. The 460 is a good motor for what you want, and the cast crank will take more than you think at modest RPM levels. IMO, the biggest killer of a cast crank (pistons too) is trying to spin them too fast. The torsional stresses from 6,000RPM and the acceleration/decelerations of the pistons get insane at those revs & above. Occasional SHORT trips there survivable, want to live there, need forgings.
    I've been running a 454 (stock Indmar 330HP till last winter when I started upgrading it) since 1978 with cast pistons & crank. SHe's seen a LOT of arround 5K (up to 5300RPM) with never a whimper. Just rebuilt it, only thing bad was the lower bearings worn out.
    You could likely run up a 9.5:1 460, apropriate cam, good heads, good exhaust & intake, right size carb, generate well over 400HP and maybe see a good 60mph from the 21'er, even on cast parts, and be as reliable as a stone. Fit an impeller to it to allow you to top rev arround 5,000+ and should be solid IMO.

Hot Rod Hallett
    Running a stroked 460 in my Hallett. Great motor. My old 365 horse 460 was bulletproof too. Good motors. They run hard and run all day long.

Tresguey
    hey statue why didn't you tell everyone the name of your boat was "Limp Wood"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast