Thread: Closed cooling and Pre-Oilers???

Fire Water
    The run we make to the offshore fishing grounds is around 2.5 hours and I've made long range deliverys (12 hours plus per day) at a pretty high cruise speed. On the new CATs I can actully see percentage of load (digital instrumentation) and have run above 90% for several hours straight. I think temperature control may be a critical factor in the service life of these engines (diesel).
    It would stand to reason that a marathon boat would greatly benifit from consistant temperatures. How many of the tin cans are running closed cooling? A simple heat exchanger just for the engine excluding exhaust shouldn't weigh more than 15 to 20 lbs.
    Also, does any body use a pre-oiler. It's a device that stores about 2 quarts of oil under pressure. When starting the engine a selenoid valve opens and the engine builds oil pressure befor the starter is ever engaged. I've heard that as much as 80% of engine wear occurs during start up.

Aluminum Squirt
    FW, I got your PM, I'll try to give you a call later today or early this week. I haven't seen any racers using a closed system, but many of the larger utility aluminum boats run them. They work great, it's just that they add weight and complicate the plumbing a little. I have no comment on the pre-oiler, never used one-Aluminum Squirt