Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Question - When is enough... enough?

Magic34
    With the fuel prices where they are at right now, which by they way are beyond out of control, what have you changed?
    Would you.........
    Stop using your boat this year?
    Use the boat less?
    Just use it again once the prices went down?
    Use it the same amount?
    Use it the same amount in the number of trips, just park my ass on the beach all day?
    With Super Unleaded @ $3.00+/gallon, for an average day at a lake the size of Havasu, I would use 50 gallons per side, so 100 total while trying to be just a little conservative on the throttle. I feel that $300 for fuel for 1 day is a little stupid.
    Nothing about boating makes financial sense which I would rather ignore and do, but at the current fuel prices it makes it much harder to toss those extra $$ away. How can you not pay attention. We all have a great time out there, and you hear it all the time on this board that you can't put a price on fun, but some on there has to be a point where you say, "I've had it, not taking it out this weekend."

Havasu_Dreamin
    We're being more conservative while driving the boat.

JB in so cal
    Keep it in perspective. When gas was $2.00/gallon, that day you described was running you $200 - In the big picture, the $100 diff is not that much.
    Put it another way. Lay off the double, mocha-latte-latte 1/2 blah, blahs and stick to black coffee and there's your diff right there.
    Flame on!

moneypit
    Nothing.... .

doesitfloat?
    Keep it in perspective. When gas was $2.00/gallon, that day you described was running you $200 - In the big picture, the $100 diff is not that much.
    Flame on!
    Not to argue with you but how is a 50% increase "not that much"?
    I know it's all relative to your income but, to some, an extra hundo a day might be the straw that broke...considering that boating, in general, is already an expensive hobby.

AZKC
    Maybe get a smaller boat :idea:

Magic34
    Put it another way. Lay off the double, mocha-latte-latte 1/2 blah, blahs and stick to black coffee and there's your diff right there.
    Flame on!
    True, but there is always a time it was less expensive, but there was a slow constant climb to get to those prices. It's not, but it is about that extra $100. Sure for $100 more I'd love to have a great time, but adding the cost to get there and back pulling the boat in addition to the other exoenses of having a great time, and after a few trips, realistically you are at an extra $1000 for 3-4 trips from what it cost you at the same time last year.

Wild Horses
    We boat just as much but just stay closer to home. Only going to make Havasu 3 time this year.
    Clint

Magic34
    This is about to have a major effect on the economy as well. Try and sell your boat if gas prices are above $3/gallon. Sure there are those who don't care, but the market will become much smaller in terms of new buyers and the less buyers, means builders will lower prices to get the sales and in turn the used market drops as well just as it has in the car industry.
    We as boaters have been lucky the past 3 years, the boating market has been really strong because demand has been high, but higher fuel prices will and has lowered demand at this point.

Magic34
    Maybe get a smaller boat :idea:
    And a sand rail...... :rollside:

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast