Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my car inurance nightmare,,,

riverroyal
    so my wife hits retread goin to havasu few weeks back,lower bumper cover damage,A/C condenser fins bent,radiator fins bent,car was still driveable.So car WAWANESSA,our insurance,they are great.They tell us where to take the car,that place say 12 weeks to get it in,screw that,so i tell them we are going to BRECHT BMW in escondido,not problem they say.So they take the car within a week,great.Insurance adjuster calls us says its gonna take 3 weeks to fix,ok,no biggie.But Brechts body shop labor rates are 90 a hour and they only pay 46$,so we would be responsible for the diff,,,aww what?I just found this out last nite,the car is in pieces,Brecht wont move on their price and insurance only pays 46$ which is the standard in SD,ok that make sence.So basically IM getting F'd by a BMW deakership,its a 525,2005.The car is leased,as far as im concerned its more theirs than mine!Anyways im just venting,phone calls start tommorrow to BMW and the crappy dealership for not disclosing the extra costs,which In may just refuse to pay,then change insurance ,,im out,,need a beer

JB in so cal
    so my wife hits retread goin to havasu few weeks back,lower bumper cover damage,A/C condenser fins bent,radiator fins bent,car was still driveable.So car WAWANESSA,our insurance,they are great.They tell us where to take the car,that place say 12 weeks to get it in,screw that,so i tell them we are going to BRECHT BMW in escondido,not problem they say.So they take the car within a week,great.Insurance adjuster calls us says its gonna take 3 weeks to fix,ok,no biggie.But Brechts body shop labor rates are 90 a hour and they only pay 46$,so we would be responsible for the diff,,,aww what?I just found this out last nite,the car is in pieces,Brecht wont move on their price and insurance only pays 46$ which is the standard in SD,ok that make sence.So basically IM getting F'd by a BMW deakership,its a 525,2005.The car is leased,as far as im concerned its more theirs than mine!Anyways im just venting,phone calls start tommorrow to BMW and the crappy dealership for not disclosing the extra costs,which In may just refuse to pay,then change insurance ,,im out,,need a beer
    Bring that pool party pic with you when you head down there! That'll set 'em straight.

Mandelon
    Trade you for a dump truck...... :hammer2:

HighRoller
    From my understanding, offering you 50-60% on the dollar of what you need is a standard first offer from insurance companies. They're just trying to save themselves some money. Tell them their offer is not acceptable. You pay a higher premium for this exact reason and it is your right to have your car fixed with factory parts at a factory authorized facility. If they still refuse, contact the state insurance commisioner's office and file a complaint. Then call the insurance company back and notify them you're in contact with the commisioner's office (provide a claim or complaint# if you can get one) and ask them if they'd like to clear up the "misunderstanding" before the state comes to investigate the complaint. One last thing: Document EVERYTHING. Names, dates and what was said. This will help if you have to proceed to the last resort: "See ya in court, bitches!"

Scape Goat
    That happened to me on my truck,had custom paint frint end etc.
    the insurance didn't want to pay but it ended up being paid because this shop is an authorized insurance repair shop. they tried to say he won't get the insurance discount etc.took a long time but the shop they sent me too was getto and the work look like crap.

Partycattin
    Most policies state that they will pay a competitive price, not whatever your shop wants to charge. You can take the car wherever you want, doesn't mean they have to pay for it. What if the shop was charging $300 an hour?
    $90 an hour sounds like their "mechanical" rate versus the "body" rate. Insurance companies will pay the mechanical rate for mechanical/electrical stuff. I don't think it is reasonable to charge a mechanical rate for swapping our a bumper cover.
    Dept of insurance may or may not work, it depends on the wording in your policy and the yantas of the insurance company to uphold the contract.

Jrocket
    I dont think it is fair to ask the BMW dealership to take a loss because your indurance company doenst pay out enough.Get your insurance company to take up the slack or take it to the people they suggested to you.Bottom line is you need a better insurance company.
    Cheap skate....get some better coverage...

2Driver
    This is right up my alley...maybe I can shed some light.
    All shops are supposed to post their labor rates in plain view and you will find that most shops in a market area are with in a couple bucks of each other except for some that consider themselves high-end (usually a BMW or a Mer dealership etc).
    Operations on the car are broken into categories called labor types (mechanical, body, paint, frame etc) each type can have it's own rate with Mechanical and electrical usually highest. Rate types are published as an industry standard (ie you can't get charged mech rate for a body operation)
    Insurance companies have an obligation to restore your car to pre-accident condition paying on the prevailing market rates and industry standard operations and that is all. They can't low ball you or will they pay a premium when the market place is under what you are asking them to pay. BTW: Wawanesa is a good company.
    Here is what I think happened and what may have gone wrong:
    1. That BMW rate is WAY high. I would ask what labor type that rate is for? It should be for Body rate as all the work you are having done should be at the "Body Rate" except for A/C stuff. (The body guy will most likely do the a/c stuff too and charge ou the MEch rate)
    2. The BMW shop does Direct repair work for insurance companies I can almost guarantee it. If so they most likley have a set of Insurance rates that you will find most likley match the market rates of other shops.
    3. I anything you might be a a victim of lack of communication. Wawanesa should have clearly stated or at least reminded you of the prevailing rate they pay in case you ended up at a place like you did. ALSO, the BMW shop should have clearly communicated their rate to you. Hopefully you tok the Wawanesa estimate ( written using Mitchell international software and database) to the BMW shop? Did you?
    You might have some recourse as you were not clearly communicated to. There are places you can go for help as a consumer but your best bet is to get the Adjuster and shop on a conference call and talk this out in a calm manner. I would speak to the issues I have above and how you were not clearly informed about the difference in price. If you are still without resolution you can try the BAR (Bureau of Automotive repair) in Ca.
    Fax me the estimate and I can look it over if you want.

ROZ
    DAmn, riverroyal... A baller like you can put the damaged car in the circular file and go get a new one You have a money tree in the backyard, don't ya?

ROZ
    rr, Fender Mender in Encinitas is a great shop... I've dealt with Monte for years, and choosing his shop was a easy decision... Yea, my wife backed into the BIG ASS DUMP TRUCK when I ws having the pool dug.. An F'ing DUMP TRUCK... Must have been in her blind spot... :crossx:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast