Thread: Arneson Surface Drive experiences

ECeptor
    Anyone with Arneson drive experiences? I see them on the super fast boats and on larger offshore cruisers but nowhere else.
    Because of less drag, are they more efficient than a Bravo? How do the come on plane? Anyone seen them in a 20-30' boat?

Dkahnjob
    Anyone with Arneson drive experiences? I see them on the super fast boats and on larger offshore cruisers but nowhere else.
    Because of less drag, are they more efficient than a Bravo? How do the come on plane? Anyone seen them in a 20-30' boat?
    There's a 32' Campbell (not exactly a high-performance cruiser) called Electric Blue that was fitted with a high-performance hull and twin arnesons a long time ago. The boat lives in Havasu and is still used regularly, and it's the fastest 32 in the fleet by a huge margin. I believe it goes about 65mph, which is 20 mph faster than any other 32 Campbell in existence, and it throws a huge rooster tail. Very cool.

Riverkid
    Maybe try getting hold of the Blown Away crew with the Formula from the bay area? They run Arneson's on their boat and they love 'em...

spectras only
    Had experience with them back in the 80's. 28' Steve Jones offshore hull , single Ford 460 twin turbos .Bronze unit ,with chopper prop. Wasn't the best at docking maneuvres , a little slow on plane but threw an awesome rooster at around 65 max. I wouldn't go over 25' with single engine setup. There's a derelict 2350 Chaparrall in the yard close to me that I remember scooting pretty good in its glory days. There's another one here [ alu hull ] that's a twin setup with big HP .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/28086234_2.jpg
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/28086234_1.jpg
    Haven't seen it going fast yet :wink: , has some engine issues [ blower engine ,blowing head gaskets :idea: :hammerhea ].