Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Boat Bottom Blueprinting

MOBrien
    adding Marvel Mystery Oil to your crankcase. Replace one quart of oil with Marvel for every 5 quarts you have in the pan. You'll gain 300 rpm.
    :jawdrop:
    you can't be serious.

BADBLOWN572
    I would say that bottom bluepringing is kind of a waste of money in my opinion. Unless you have a real bad hook, the amount of money you spend could easily give you performance gains in other areas.
    Tom Brown is right, take a 6' level or straight edge and put it on the bottom of the boat. You will see how much hook it has. Typically if it has a lot it can come from ageing over the years or it can come from the boat being popped from the mold too early. Typically #2 is most common.
    GT is also right. I would start exploring all other areas before you go and blueprint the bottom. If you are looking for more speed, check out putting on a nosecone, tweeking the prop, shorty lower unit, etc... I think that those would be a much better return on investment if your bottom is not THAT bad.

rivercrazy
    It's a Shockwave, they pop those boats after a couple of days. Nothing is cured, beside a lot of those boats have hook designed into them. I remember a west coast builder saying that on here before. Plus again it is a Shockwave, don't throw a bunch of money at it trying to get 70 out of it. Save your money for the next boat.
    Andy
    Wow. Someone is misinformed. My 25 Tremor sat in the mold for 6-7 days after final lamination. That is sufficient because Shockwave uses 100% vinylester thorughout the layup. Some manufacturers only use Vinylester in the first layup and then Polyester with the remaning lamination (cheaper and easier but with significant trade-offs). Since Vinylester cures faster, is stronger, and more water resistant, a little less time is required in the mold. Also my Tremor has virtually no hook at all.

superdave013
    Pat's fiberglass in Upland did the bottom of my Schiada. Now I went there because of a new strut location ment that the old prop shaft hole needed filled. But they did tune up the bottom at the same time. Strakes are straight and nice and sharp now. And it has a tad or rocker to it now.
    I bet if GT needs glass work or bottom work done they send it out to Pat's too.
    They are very good but don't go there to save money. They are not the cheepest game in town but one of the best.

HBjet
    I would say that bottom bluepringing is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.
    I would have to completely disagree...
    Even though I have a smaller jet boat (19 foot) out of every modification that was done to make my boat quicker (motor and a lot of pump work) the best "bang for your buck" was having the bottom of my hull blueprinted. Granted, before the blueprint the bottom of my hull wasn't as nice as some of these newer boats, but I couldn't believe the difference in ride, handling, and the hull really loosened up on glass or chop. I think blue printing a hull is a great investment if needed and no matter what bolt on modification you do to your motor or outdrive or prop, etc... your still going to be fighting the hull.
    I would recommend Jeff Bennett to do any bottom blueprinting. He can even come out and take a look at your boat and tell you if it's worth it or not. He's seen a lot of the newer boats in the industry and knows what is working and what isn't. I don't know his take on Shockwaves, but I do know he really liked the quality of DCB's when they came out of the mold.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3fix030.jpg
    Good Luck, just adding my .02
    HBjet

Steamin' Rice
    So how are you guy's doin? Are you taking the boat out this weekend? I tried to bum a ride with Barry last week for the scope deal but it did'nt work out.
    I don't think we're going to take the boat out this weekend. We have a b-day party in the valley tomorrow and we're going to hit the horse track in Del Mar on Sun.. That leaves Mon for us if we go.. We'll have to get you guys out for a boat ride one of these days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234