Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you peep's go in as a partnership on your boats??

NOTALENT
    My bestfriend since 5th grade and I have been talking...about going in as a partnership. On something big It will save on cost...and His garage is more than enough to hold what were lookin at. And he's one of the few I would trust on something like this. I have gone over all the pros and cons..and wanted to know how this has worked out for others... We plan to have it by next summer....let me know..thanks..

mike37
    don't do it
    not if you want to stay friends

Partnerships are great till you have a conflict. Then they suck.
    a couple common problems.
    One of you breaks the boat. ok who pays to fix. now you have to assess blame and responsibility depending on situation. Can get dicey. Especially after the same partner breaks it for about the 4th time and you're sharing the cost to fix.
    Conflicting use dates. You want to go x, bud wants to go y, same weekend. Someone don't go to x or y.
    One partner ends up taking care of the boat more than other, someone gets pissed. Different people have different ideas of proper maintenence and care sometimes.
    Just a few.
    Oh and the all time favorite. Dude... it was full of gas when it left, wtf? (to the tune of $3 a gal.).

ECeptor
    The only person on the planet I'd consider as a boat partner is my brother. But I'd only do that if we moved closer than our current 200mi distance apart AND we planned on boating together nearly every weekend.
    I like our current "partnership" - I bring my boat to see him and he pays for all the gas to get there plus what we burn on the water. Seems fair to me!

havasujoe93
    I own a boat with my brother; two different views on how to own a boat. I am a neat freak he isn't. I would say, if you want to keep your friend a friend; then don't do it. Just my 2 cents.

Mrs.Racer277
    I think X-Rated was co owned before Jordy bought it
    Oh and there are the 2 guys that are FF on the inside line. I would ask there.

Jordy
    Partnerships are great till you have a conflict. Then they suck.
    a couple common problems.
    One of you breaks the boat. ok who pays to fix. now you have to assess blame and responsibility depending on situation. Can get dicey. Especially after the same partner breaks it for about the 4th time and you're sharing the cost to fix.
    Conflicting use dates. You want to go x, bud wants to go y, same weekend. Someone don't go to x or y.
    One partner ends up taking care of the boat more than other, someone gets pissed. Different people have different ideas of proper maintenence and care sometimes.
    Just a few.
    Oh and the all time favorite. Dude... it was full of gas when it left, wtf? (to the tune of $3 a gal.).
    Hit it right on the head Mikey. I've had friends that did it and they're not friends anymore. Inevitably, one parter uses it more than the other, one takes better care of it, one cleans it better, and then feelings start to get hurt because one person thinks he's doing all the work, boats break, and it all goes South because typically if you had the bank to buy the other one out or vice versa, you wouldn't have gone in partners to begin with.
    Then again, when have you ever listened to anyone around here NT. Pop the collar and go for it.

uvindex
    My bestfriend since 5th grade and I have been talking...about going in as a partnership. On something big It will save on cost...and His garage is more than enough to hold what were lookin at. And he's one of the few I would trust on something like this. I have gone over all the pros and cons..and wanted to know how this has worked out for others... We plan to have it by next summer....let me know..thanks..Never done it. Make sure you consider the insurance and liability issues. If your name is on the boat's registration, you can be sued if your boat is involved in an accident, even if you were home watching TV at the time. Make sure the insurance is structured such that you're protected. Good luck.

mbrown2
    I have owned two boats with partners.....the Malibu we own with my best friend....I also use it 8 out 10 times more then he does and he has more time off. Yes, I do have to care for it more so then he, and feel like I spend more of my time worrying about...., BUT I KNEW THAT going in. He gets to pay half of everything except stupid stuff like Stereo Upgrades that are not necessary but I want them...
    You should know your partner before being there partner...I knew mine, and so I am not suprised...the relationship on both boats has worked great for us....now the DCB on the other hand is just for the wife and I.....I would really second guess doing a hi-po boat with a partner....a wakeboard boat where it is plug/play has not been a big deal.

Supultlbich
    Thats walking a very fine line. Are you wanting a partner so you can afford a more expensive boat?? Or just for cost sharing?? Think long and hard. Good luck.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast