Thread: SuperChargers, Opinions Please

Let's Go
    Here's what we have; 1998 Commander 26' Signature with a 7.4 MPI, Bravo I, 23 pitch Mirage Plus. This is a new boat I purchased in May of this year, it had been setting on the lot for four years (dealer thought he could sell this type boat and couldn't). Anyway, max rpm's are 4300, 59-60 mph on GPS. The boat rides and handles the best at 40 mph or better. At 3400 rpm I'm running about 42-43 mph. I make pretty long runs, anywhere from 30 to 50 miles at this speed and rpm, which I think may be a bit of a strain on this engine. 3000 rpm is where I would like to run and keep the speed at 40-45. Best I could calculate I would need a prop around 28 pitch to do this and 120 more horsepower to spin it. Of course I would probably gain 10 - 15 mph on top end which would be nice too. I thought supercharging would be the safest and simplest way to do this. Both ProCharger and Whipple have kits for the 7.4 MPI. Both claim to be the best. Cost is about the same. Anyone have experience with these units? Should I leave things alone and just run stock? You know how it is, you really want to go faster but have to come up with something better than that to convince the wife. Thanks in advance for any input.

502procharger
    i have had very good luck with my 502 and a procharger. the install was pretty easy, once i got it dialed in i have not had to touch it. the power and speed gains were great. i went from a 23 mirage to a 28 bravo 1 4 blade. my top rpm is about 5200, that is about where it was prior to the procharger. i have never had any problems with detonation. i have also seen good results with the whipple systems that friends have, i have just personaly had great results with the procharger. i think whichever you choose you will be very happy with. they are both well built units. the whipple gives you boost right off the bat, which in turn is harder on the drive. the procharger really comes on in the lower part of the mid-range and pulls hard through the top end. It is easy on you drive unit. good luck.

AudioGuy
    If your out drive can hang you will bet better response below 3000 rpms with the wipple, but it will be harder on the equipment. The Pro-Charger comes on at around 2000 rpms so it is easier on the drive and bottom end of the engine. I've used both types, snail blowers and screw blowers, earthier way you will have a smile that last for months Wanting for Wipple to make one for the 496, I will be all over it. Just my input

KC
    There are a few threads in the "Blowers" section regarding the 7.4 MPI 310 HP.... Whipple suggests replacing the rods and pistons with there kit... the idea of investing $5000 into a Whipple kit to be placed on a motor that is weak is not a good idea to me....
    Better off placing that money towards a bullet proof motor.
    I'm also looking for an additional 100-120hp, so far my research is pointing me towards a used 502 MPI at 415hp. Unfortunatly they are hard to come by... so that is pointing me towards a GM crate motor, currently looking at 510hp and 560tq to be mated with a 26p or 28p Bravo four blade for around $9000, the dollars same as a used 502 MPI in good shape.
    KC