Thread: arp bolts and oil

StealBlueZ
    just installed a new set of eagle rods with arp bolts. the arp site say use 30wt or the molly lube. I've never used anything and have had no failures. what have you guys used, if anything????? on the mains, too.......

454-ways-to-go
    used molly lube on rods and main

GofastRacer
    Follow instructions for lube and go by stretch on the rod bolts, no lube is asking for trouble!..

MandDPerformance
    Whatever you use " 30wt. or Moly" make sure you torque accordingly. The coefficient of friction with moly is a lot less than that of 30wt. which will yeild a lower torque number to achieve the proper stretch. Torquing a fastener is just a generic way to stretch the fastener without over doing it. Once you over torque or over stretch a fastener it is basically junk.

GofastRacer
    Whatever you use " 30wt. or Moly" make sure you torque accordingly. The coefficient of friction with moly is a lot less than that of 30wt. which will yeild a lower torque number to achieve the proper stretch. Torquing a fastener is just a generic way to stretch the fastener without over doing it. Once you over torque or over stretch a fastener it is basically junk.
    Very well said!..

obnoxious001
    just installed a new set of eagle rods with arp bolts. the arp site say use 30wt or the molly lube. I've never used anything and have had no failures. what have you guys used, if anything????? on the mains, too.......
    I recently replaced a short block for a guy, the reason? Apparently whoever assembled the engine (he bought the boat used) did not lubricate the Eagle rod bolts. One bolt snapped, this guy tried to limp the boat back across the lake so he wasn't stranded, the 2nd bolt on that rod broke, and the cap jambed between another rod and the block. Basically destroyed two rods, two pistons, the crank and the block.
    Getting back to the rod bolts, when I took the thing apart, all of the rod bolts "squawked" when I loosened them up. No sign of moly or oil on the threads. Moral of the story: It's could get real expensive if you don't follow their instructions!

Liberator TJ1984
    Use the moly lube, if you do not have a stretch gauge , ARP recommends you torque them up and back them off twice then set final torque , this " properly Sets " the rod bolts they say.