Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to Donate??

WetWillie
    Just watched a special on the disaster and want to donate. I feel sorry for these people. No one in the US should go without the basics.
    I have read the scandles with the Redcross and Feed the Children. Who can I trust to make sure the money gets there?

HighRoller
    I would say find a charity in an area local to the affected areas. Send them materials, not money. Canned food, clothing, whatever. Or take the DCB down there and start rescuing people from their flooded houses. At 110mph, you could save the whole town in 14 minutes.

Mrs. casean
    Just watched a special on the disaster and want to donate. I feel sorry for these people. No one in the US should go without the basics.
    I have read the scandles with the Redcross and Feed the Children. Who can I trust to make sure the money gets there?
    I've been looking around online right now finding out the same thing. It is sooo horrible and no one should ever have to experience such a disaster. I was watching Dateline and I started to tear up watching them interview a family sleeping in their car w/ a flat tire, no food, no gas and no home to go to. I am feeling soooo selfish sitting in my house watching tv and eating a good meal. So I guess the only thing we can do to help them out is donate. I know they all need sanitary items, clothing, food, cleaning supplies, etc... and most websites just say to donate money so they can buy these items... but how do you trust them, besides the typical salvation army and red cross... I'm trying to see if there are any local places I could take it to... well if I find a trust worthy one, I'll post it just incase any of you would like to help out...

Mrs. casean
    I would say find a charity in an area local to the affected areas. Send them materials, not money. Canned food, clothing, whatever. Or take the DCB down there and start rescuing people from their flooded houses. At 110mph, you could save the whole town in 14 minutes.
    I should have waited to post This is exactly what I wanted to do... clothes, food, clean water... it's just hard to fine a local place to donate items too, they all seem to want money

Cas
    Help for Katrina Survivors
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FEMA News: Cash Sought To Help Hurricane Victims, Volunteers Should Not Self-Dispatch
    Release Date: August 29, 2005
    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Voluntary organizations are seeking cash donations to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina in Gulf Coast states, according to Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response. But, volunteers should not report directly to the affected areas unless directed by a voluntary agency.
    "Cash donations are especially helpful to victims," Brown said. "They allow volunteer agencies to issue cash vouchers to victims so they can meet their needs. Cash donations also allow agencies to avoid the labor-intensive need to store, sort, pack and distribute donated goods. Donated money prevents, too, the prohibitive cost of air or sea transportation that donated goods require."
    Volunteer agencies provide a wide variety of services after disasters, such as clean up, childcare, housing repair, crisis counseling, sheltering and food.
    "We're grateful for the outpouring of support already," Brown said. "But it's important that volunteer response is coordinated by the professionals who can direct volunteers with the appropriate skills to the hardest-hit areas where they are needed most. Self-dispatched volunteers and especially sightseers can put themselves and others in harm's way and hamper rescue efforts."
    Donate:American Red Cross
    800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English
    800-257-7575 Spanish
    America's Second Harvest
    800-344-8070
    Operation Blessing
    800-436-6348
    Donate and Volunteer:Adventist Community Services
    800-381-7171
    Catholic Charities, USA
    703-549-1390
    Christian Disaster Response
    941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554
    Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
    800-848-5818
    Church World Service
    800-297-1516
    Convoy of Hope
    417-823-8998
    Lutheran Disaster Response
    800-638-3522
    Mennonite Disaster Service
    717-859-2210
    Nazarene Disaster Response
    888-256-5886
    Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
    800-872-3283
    Salvation Army
    800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
    Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief
    800-462-8657, ext. 6440
    United Methodist Committee on Relief
    800-554-8583

unleashed
    This may sound stupid but its just an ideal. Why dont we have someone on the boards whom may be near that area be the keepsake and we all send our donations to an account that can be used for the victims???? We send our deposits to this account and have the individual from the boards disperse it to a worthy charity in the area??? Not sure just throwing out an ideal??? This way we donate as a group and possibly feel a little safer about our goodwill?? Im good for a few hundred!
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Mrs. casean
    This may sound stupid but its just an ideal. Why dont we have someone on the boards whom may be near that area be the keepsake and we all send our donations to an account that can be used for the victims???? We send our deposits to this account and have the individual from the boards disperse it to a worthy charity in the area??? Not sure just throwing out an ideal??? This way we donate as a group and possibly feel a little safer about our goodwill?? Im good for a few hundred!
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
    just need to find a trust worthy HB'r who would manage this and make sure it gets to the appropriate place... good idea!

HighRoller
    I'm sorry to be cynical, but cash donations allow the charities to keep a percentage as well. Yeah, I'm sure the victims would like cash vouchers, but beggers cannot be choosers! Maybe the charities should ask for..oh I don't know...ANYTHING THESE PEOPLE NEED!!!!

Boatcop
    Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org)
    You can donate directly to this effort on line. $5.00 minimum

lalhc
    I'm donating to Red Cross through my company because they'll match my donation 100%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast