Thread: Another Dennis Moore question

gnarley
    Has anyone ever tried the use of 180-degree headers on a marine application? Or are they just to high in the operational range for usable HP or torque? I am familiar with them from stock car racing & the RPM range was 3500 to 7500 & it was a BBC & boy what a difference & they sounded Sooo.... sweet.

Dennis Moore
    Not that I have ever heard of. Correct me if I am wrong but the difference is minimal (the nascar guys don't even use them do they?). I think they are cool!
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore

1riverrat
    Cave Fish on the other board built his own 180-degree headers here is the link.
    http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/banderlog/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_cou nt&om=516&forum=DCForumID1

West Coast Dave
    The NASCAR guys can't use them as it is against their rule book. They use an X-pipe connector that gives much of the same benefit but is legal. As a by product you also get the somewhat the same sound also. A lot of divisions that do allow them ie: Dirt and Asphalt Late Models and IMCA Modifieds do use them.

gnarley
    I am familiar with them from my late model open comp stock car days back in the mid 80's & boy they sounded great! Kind of like a formula 1 engine I know they can really perform but I have not seen any on boats & just wondered why?

LeE ss13
    gnarley:
    Has anyone ever tried the use of 180-degree headers on a marine application? Or are they just to high in the operational range for usable HP or torque? I am familiar with them from stock car racing & the RPM range was 3500 to 7500 & it was a BBC & boy what a difference & they sounded Sooo.... sweet.I remember a few circle boats trying them in the '70s. I also remember one guy had them on a drag boat with NJBA in the ''80s. As far as sound ... it sounded like a very loud four cylinder.
    ----------
    LeE ss13

blowngas
    gnarley:
    Has anyone ever tried the use of 180-degree headers on a marine application? Or are they just to high in the operational range for usable HP or torque? I am familiar with them from stock car racing & the RPM range was 3500 to 7500 & it was a BBC & boy what a difference & they sounded Sooo.... sweet.Only saw one set ever on a boat----some guy from kentucky pulled all the way to marble falls, texas ---had a bbc in an old hydro complete with bench seat!!! and quadra-suck carb---don't think he ever made a complete pass, but it sure sounded different than any other boats

CircleJerk
    Just thought some FORD people would be interested in our last Nostalgic race up here. We had a 1965 wickens Marathon race boat with 64 427 power and a set of GT40 180degree pipes that took second and sounded like a HUGE Hornet. Those pipes are tuned for 6000 rpm and the dual fours worked well to push the 2300 pound combination well OUT of the water to fly down the straight and spanked my wife in her former circle Lavey-craft! Anyone with questions for the boat owner can contact me. This thing really sounded WILD! Jerk....

gnarley
    CircleJerk, I bet it sounded way cool! I would of loved to have heard it & seen it. Theere is nothing like the sound of those 180's