Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol?

sanger rat
    What does it take to run it? I know the you have to jet up the carb. Is there more you have to do to the carb? What about the fuel pump and lines. How much bigger do they have to be? Is it true that two gallons of alcohol = one gallon of gas? So that would mean bigger tanks. It is lighter than gas right? Can you run it in a low compression motor say with 9.1 to 10.1cr? Where would you be able to buy it? Do you have to buy it by the drum? What I want to know is can the average 500-600hp motors run on it.

Fiat48
    Carbs have to be reworked extensively to flow roughly twice as much as gas. Or go injectors. More fuel supply needed than gas. It'll run on near any compression but likes more. You'll burn about 2.2 times more alcohol than gasoline.

Taylorman
    So a 500 hp 10:1 motor running on gas, if switched to alcohol, what kind of gains can be expected?

steelcomp
    So a 500 hp 10:1 motor running on gas, if switched to alcohol, what kind of gains can be expected?
    I'm not sure about the gains, but remember this...alky is really corrosive. You should drain all your lines and dry everything out efter every trip. You have to be careful with spills, and if you EVER have a fire, you won't know it untill it's too late. No visible flame. If you start seeing flames, it's because someting else has cought fire, like your ass! You'll also have to worry about regular oil changes.
    Just a thought.

Sleek-Jet
    What affect does Alky have on gel coat???
    I know alky is very caustic to bare aluminium, but what about stainless???

EXTREMEBOATS
    FYI up to 30% power gains are possable if its set up right. :squiggle:

Norseman
    Mike;
    Define set up right, Please........
    I've always heard that the decrease in fuel mileage on a street driven car is somewhere between 20% - 30%, that was "Way back when", 60's and 70's. Mother Earth news and various other sources......
    I've also been told that with EFI the decrease would be less.
    Lots of newer cars are also set up to run E85.
    I know that to run pure alcohol carbs need to be rejetted up about 40% and that timing needs to be advanced.
    Is using twice as much alcohol due to increasing the compression of the motor???
    Bob

Fiat48
    Mike;
    Define set up right, Please........
    I've always heard that the decrease in fuel mileage on a street driven car is somewhere between 20% - 30%, that was "Way back when", 60's and 70's. Mother Earth news and various other sources......
    I've also been told that with EFI the decrease would be less.
    Lots of newer cars are also set up to run E85.
    I know that to run pure alcohol carbs need to be rejetted up about 40% and that timing needs to be advanced.
    Is using twice as much alcohol due to increasing the compression of the motor???
    Bob
    E is ethanol. Different animal. Grain alcohol. Methanol is different.
    Difference in fuel consumption has nothing to due with compression. It has to do with air/fuel mixture to get a combustable mixture.

steelcomp
    E is ethanol. Different animal. Grain alcohol. Methanol is different.
    Difference in fuel consumption has nothing to due with compression. It has to do with air/fuel mixture to get a combustable mixture.
    It's about BTU's released.

Unchained
    Just changing fuels and carbs / rejetting it's more like + 4% at best.
    Any gains from alcohol have to be gotten by adding some significant cylinder pressure beyond what gasoline can run at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast