Thread: Finding VIN on my 21' Cheetah Jet boat

Punisher
    Does anyone know where I can purchase the VIN for my boat?Im not sure if that is the correct name for it but it states how many passengers I can carry and how much weight I can carry?I thought it was on my dash but when i went to go outside and look for it,it was nowhere to be found.Am I in so trouble with locating a new one?
    Jon
    EDIT: Dont I have to have that plate in order to go on the lake?

wasted$$
    Call cheetah bob. 928.764.2700

Boatcop
    You don't want the VIN (Actually "HIN"-Hull Identification number) The HIN is applied into the gel coat of the hull, and is unique to each hull built. Boats built prior to 1972 didn't have HINs assigned.
    You're looking for the "Capacity Plate". They are only required by the Coast Guard to be placed on outboard powered boats, less than 20 feet in length. Also not required on boats built prior to about 1972.
    Some manufacturers put them on other boats (inboards, over 20 feet, etc) but aren't required to. They do it for liability reasons. Inboards won't have a Horsepower maximum, but will have maximum weight and number of persons.
    To figure the capacity of your boat multiply the length X the width and divide the result by 15. If you get fractioned number (like 8.7) always round it DOWN to the next whole number (8).
    That will be the maximum number of people your boat can carry, although in some cases (low freeboard, limited seating etc) your safe number may be lower.
    You probably won't be able to get replacement plates for boats more than a few years old. In addition to capacity, the plates also certify that the boat is in compliance with all USCG, ABYC and NMMA manufacturing standards in effect for for the year the hull was manufactured. If the boat has been modified in any way, it may not be in compliance with those standards, and the Company may not want to certify it as such.

Punisher
    Thank you for the useful information Boatcop. So another words,i dont really need the HIN but i do need the VIN?Thank you once again..

Punisher, what Boatcop said is that you do not need a "capacity plate" which is the square plate often seen on/near the dash. Your boat may have never had one, either. A boat does not have a "VIN", instead it has a "HIN", which stands for Hull Identification Number. For your 1976 boat, it should be embossed into the outside of the transom on the right side.

Punisher
    thanks for the clarification ...Im still a rookie so bare with me :redface: