Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VARIOUS PISTON COATINGS

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    HAS ANYONE RUN PISTONS, AND OTHER INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS THAT ARE COATED FOR LOW FRICTION, ECT? MUCH MORE MONEY? DOES IT WORK? THANKS...BILL.

miller19j
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/141eng1-med.jpg[/img]
    I’m running Pistons with Moly coated skirts. Do they perform any better? I have no idea. I don’t think the cost any more than a regular piston. They were recommended to me by my machinist so I went with them.
    Sorry I guess I’m not much help.

DogHouse
    I am running ceramic heat barrier coatings on the piston tops, combustion chambers, and valve faces, and the friction reducing coating on the skirts. I was mostly interested in the heat rejection characteristics to increase thermal efficiency and allow the use of higher compression with pump gas. This is the first season on this motor so I can’t comment yet on the durability of the coatings. My pistons came from Polymer Dynamics in TX. They will order custom pistons from JE or Wiseco, coat them, and sell them to you at the “jobber” price. If you already have pistons, I think it’s a couple hundred bucks to get the coatings added, and another few hundred to do the chambers and valves. Hard to say exactly what effect they’ve had on my setup since I don’t have a direct comparison with/without coatings on the same parts combo. I can say that I’m running 10.8:1 and 36 deg of timing on 91 octane without even a hint of detonation.
    -brian

I have used the ceramic coating on piston tops of several motors. I think it helps in several ways. You can buy the stuff and do it yourself at home pretty easy.

my new motor is gonna have coated pistons and its pretty cheap, just over a $120 bucks.I wonder how thick the coating is.. Does it actually make the clearances a little tighter? Or is it so thin that you do not have to worry about it..guess thats a question for the engine builder..

moneysucker
    Does anyone know of a shop in the San Diego/LA/OC area that does coatings on the pistons and other internal parts? I drive my own parts. Shipping doesn't sit well with me. I want to have at least my new pistons done.

Check with cp pistons in irvine,ca. They have a website @ cppistons.com. If they dont do inhouse coating or wont coat another companys pistons ask for a place that they reccomend.
    If you dont have any luck with CP I know Embee plating does piston skirt coating.They are in Santa Ana,Ca.Good luck.

UBFJ #454
    We use Swain for our coatings:
    http://www.swaintech.com

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    THANKS BEAR 454 PE! WHAT A FIND, THESE ARE THE BEST FORUMS!...BILL.

UBFJ #454
    Bill- Are you running a n/a, blower, turbo'd or, n2o motor?
    [ September 19, 2003, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: BEAR_454PE ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast