Thread: Marine cams....VS....Automotive cams

Sand Dawg
    Is there any real diff. other then saying Marine even when the spec's are the same????

Infomaniac
    If the specs are the same - there is no difference.
    [ September 29, 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Moneypitt
    IMHO, no. Horsepower is horsepower! However, be careful with the torque curves, as marine demands are different than automotive. Its just like engineering anything else, you wouldn't want a high rpm BBC cam in your BBC motorhome, and of course the high fuel mileage cams of today won't work that well in a boat. Valve event timing, overlap, and lobe centers are usually different if ground for marine use, but I feel good old horsepower will prevail. Again, beware of the curve......My .02 ... Moneypitt

H2OT PURSUIT
    Infomaniac:
    If the specs are the same - there is no difference. I guess the question really isn't whether a particular cam is a "marine cam" or not, but rather whether it is suitable for marine use or not.

Dr. Eagle
    Moneypitt hit the nail on the head. High horsepower with low torque is poo poo. A relatively high torque curve that develops at lower RPMs is best for a marine power or so I have been led to believe....my .02
    [ September 29, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

Infomaniac
    H2OT PURSUIT:
    Infomaniac:
    If the specs are the same - there is no difference. I guess the question really isn't whether a particular cam is a "marine cam" or not, but rather whether it is suitable for marine use or not. That is right.
    There are grinds that are really well designed for marine that would not necessairily be suitable for street/strip use.
    Sand Dawg asked if there was any differece IF THE SPECS ARE THE SAME. The answer is no.

Sand Dawg
    Ok then when looking for a good torque curve cam, SBC, what kind if number's are good and what are to high...grind wize....Here is what I have...95 21.5ft., Alpha one, 350 Merc Mag.,through hull Capt. Choice, WFO 4450/48.5 GPS...I've done a lot of looking at old threads on here.

Havasu Hangin'
    Sand Dawg:
    Ok then when looking for a good torque curve cam, SBC, what kind if number's are good and what are to high...grind wize....Here is what I have...95 21.5ft., Alpha one, 350 Merc Mag.,through hull Capt. Choice, WFO 4450/48.5 GPS...I've done a lot of looking at old threads on here. It depends on where you want to make power.
    On my 383 SBC, I went with a Crane 119831 (222, 230; .509, .528) and 180cc intake runners. It made 400+ ft-lbs 3K up, and made maximum HP at 5,300. With a 350, it would probably make maximum HP at 5,400.
    That little engine pulls my 4K+ lb boat out of the hole like a BBC- very user friendly. In fact, I actually baby it out of the hole- I had to mash my old 350.
    I probably wouldn't go with anything more radical than that cam- it has a 112 LSA, and still lopes a little. With an Alpha, you want a 750RPM idle- 800 RPMs is about as low as I can get with the Holley carb setup. You might look for one with an 114 LSA.
    Also, if you are keeping those low-compression pistons (I think you have 9-1), you want a cam with less overlap (overlap bleeds off pressure), and will take away torque.