Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you remove the metering plate on a holley carb?

jboehm
    found why the boat won't run. carb is full of shit.

Mark Sims
    If nothing else you can pry a flat tip between the airhorn and one of the air bleed plugs but if you loosen it up your screwed.

Mark Sims
    sorry, just realized you said plate

Dennis Moore
    One of the reasons why there are so many junk Holley carbs sitting around is because you can't clean the dirt out of the Holley metering block. If you clean the carb and install a rebuild kit don't be disapointed if it still doesn't run well. The metering block is full of dirt and won't come clean no matter how long you soak it in carb cleaner. Most experienced mechanics hate rebuilding Holleys for this reason (it is a crap shoot). Most mechanics don't think that Holleys are wonderful!
    One of the nice things about the Mercruiser/Weber/AFB/Edelbrock carb is that you can eyeball every fuel and air passage and poke the dirt out with a fine wire. A mechanic can poke out the dirt on the Quadrajet fuel passages too but he has to know the carb a little better than the average guy (to know where to poke).
    Hope your metering blocks come clean!
    Dennis Moore, Rebuilder of many Holleys.

73kona455
    most of the holley metering plates are held on by clutch head screws.. remove them and the plate comes loose from the main body of the carb

flat broke
    Odds are the problem is that you don't have a clutch head driver tool. A good alternative is to take a flathead and grind it to fit the clutch head fitting. You want to have as tight of a as you can without having to pound your newly made flathead/clutchhead tool into the screws. That's always worked for me, but I could see if the carb was really corroded how you might not be able to generate enough torque to break the clutch head fastener loose with the modified flathead.
    Good luck,
    Chris

jboehm
    got it off. i used a small torx head driver shoved into the screw. i was lucky and they were not stuck. now i need to find a secondary vaccum diaphram.

spectras only
    There's one way to clean the blocks with, an ultrasonic cleaner and solvent.They come in different sizes to accomodate the size of parts you'll need it for.They're available at jewelry tools supplies stores ,or fine tools stores.I never thrown a holley metering block away because of dirt. The weber/edelbrock carb is a good choice for boats .
    [ October 12, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Most any good auto parts store or tool supply carries clutch head screwdrivers or bits. If you got a Holley with met plate you need to invest a few bucks in one of these, not expensive.

rrrr
    Rexone:
    Most any good auto parts store or tool supply carries clutch head screwdrivers or bits. If you got a Holley with met plate you need to invest a few bucks in one of these, not expensive. I dunno about you guys in SoCal, but around here a "good auto parts store" no longer exists. If it ain't in the computer or on the rack in a blister package they don't have it.
    When I was a kid in the early 70's I used to hang out at Guaranteed Auto Parts, they had a P-51 Merlin piston on the counter for an ashtray, the door stop was an intake valve from a locomotive and was about 14" tall.
    The guys that worked there all raced something, and the store sponsored a Fiat gasser that ran out at the dragstrip. You could get an answer about practically anything, and they had every stinkin' part known to man. I used to buy parts for my '50 Stude pickup that were on the shelf!
    I guess stuff like this is what makes a guy turn into a cranky old motherf*cker.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast