Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water temp

burning cole
    I have a 440 chyrsler that until two trips ago never got the gauge to go above 100. These past two trips she idles hot and cools when running over 1500 rpms. SO I thought there was something plugged in the pump! Nope, pulled all the lines, changed the oil, and stuck a feeler in both sides of the pump nothing. I also pulled the motor plugs to check for sand but nothing came out except clean water. Hooked up a hose to check flow while on trailer and of course there was.
    If you guys could, what do I need to check next! I am going to Willow Valley this weekend and I am going to have a great garage to play with it. But I need to know what else to look for. I just had the pump redone this winter and has about 30 hours or so this season.
    I could really use your help.
    Thanks.

Hallett19
    Possibly a blown head gasket, or some grime somewhere clogging up your system. Those problems are hard to find.

burning cole
    if I had a blown head gasket the would'nt the motor be running hot right off the bat. It takes a good 10 or 1 minutes before I see the temp gauge move. And also, would'nt there be water in the oil? I have great oil pressure.

burning cole
    if I had a blown head gasket the would'nt the motor be running hot right off the bat. It takes a good 10 or 1 minutes before I see the temp gauge move. And also, would'nt there be water in the oil? I have great oil pressure.

Jordy
    That is what happened to me. Had a head gasket blow and start trickling water into the oil. Temperature wont really be affected because it is always running cold lake water through the motor. My only indication was my oil pressure gauge was ticking, which it had never done before. Acted like a bad pressure sender. Come to find out it was due to the water that was being mixed with the Mobil 1. Did a great job on the main bearings.
    Jordy

Hallett19
    jordanpaulk:
    Did a great job on the main bearings.
    JordyI bet it did. The only thing I can think of is blocking going on somewhere, you might have to pull the motor apart and hot tank it if you cant find anything in the lines. And you pulled all the freeze plugs ? How long has it been since the motor has been out of the boat ?

tmdog
    Burning cole--- I have the same problem . I suspect it's the oil cooler. I'm getting ready to remove cooler, I think is corroded from salt water and restricting the flow.Will let you know.

burning cole
    Thanks for all your help. I have never pulled the motor out of the boat and I have had it for 2 years. I did not take the freeze plugs out. Just the pipe plugs.
    What I did not check last time that I am going to this time, is flow to the motor from the pump. I have the lines disconnected and I am just going to start it when I put it in the water for just a second to even see if the flow is good. Then I can through process of elimination rule out the pump.
    jordanpaulk, If there was water in the oil, I would see it when I changed the oil, right? Dont scare me!
    tmdog, I do not have an oil cooler. I have never had this problem before I went to Blyth and started running in that shallow water. So I suspected sand in the block and it was not cooling.
    Another thing that I noticed is that the water is not going through the block. It is when I put a hose on the lines but when I have to rely on the pump to do its job I never notice water coming out of the back of the boat.
    I DO NOT KNOW!

Jordy
    If you had water in your oil you would definately know it. Would have a mayo look to it. Granted, if you pull your valve covers and there is some mayo looking gunk in there, I wouldn't worry about it as that is due to condensation. Worry if you pull your dipstick and it looks like something you would put on a chicken sandwich.
    Jordan

burning cole
    I pull the dip stick and it looks good. Is there anything else that you may be able to think of! Thanks for all your help so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast