Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: No time to panic but it's time to buy firearms (are you prepared?)

JB in so cal
    I sense there are some boners a popping

Phat Daddy
    for me anyway.
    After seeing the thugs in New Orleans killing and raping innocents and shooting at cops and the National Guard and...
    After hearing that there are 90,000 gang members in LA County and if there's ever a situation like that here (examples: Rodney King riots, OJ Simpson post-verdict hooliganism, post-earthquake, terror attack aftermath, etc.) I want to be able to protect my family and my property.
    So, I need to buy firearms! I'm thinking of buying a pistol and a shotgun. Some questions (help wanted):
    1. What do you recommend I buy?
    2. How many and which ones/type?
    3. Where should I go to buy them?
    4. What is the process to buy? How long, etc?
    Yes, I will pay for a firearms class so we will be trained.
    I only wish I didn't wait this long. And (here's the doom-and-gloom part), I hope this coming 9/11 (this Sunday) doesn't bring us a visit from Muslim terrorists since I won't be fully prepared.
    In the meantime I'm taking a close look at how prepared we are (good but not good enough) for a disaster (checking the food, water, cash, camping, supplies, etc.). It might be time to start buying MREs too :jawdrop:
    Turners Outdoorsmen is a good place to start. You will need to take a written test in order to buy a gun. A Sigma 40 cal or Glock is a good easy gun to handle. There is plenty of stuff to look at there and they can answer your questions.

JB in so cal
    so when i show up in your driveway after the 10.0 hits here, shine your flashlight at my hand 1st,see if it really me,remember im missing a finger
    Pull the trigger with your toe

Riverkid
    Pistols are for when you need to buy time to get to a rifle. Get a .223 and a bunch of ammo. I'd rather have some distance on my side then be >100 feet away...

Sleek-Jet
    I just need to go buy more ammo.... :crossx:

Freak
    Over all you need a Bug Out Bag.
    Shelter/clothing:
    Rain poncho, USGI
    Sweatshirt, OD
    Socks
    Space blanket
    Fire:
    Lighter
    Matches, NATO waterproof = walmart has them
    Trioxane solid fuel
    Mini stove, USGI
    Flint
    Cotton in vaseline
    First Aid:
    Small personal first aid kit
    Maxi-pads as bandage
    2 heavy duty freezer bags (for trash or collecting water or sucking chest wound)
    Soap
    Tools/Misc:
    Multi tool
    Toilet paper
    Flashlight, Mini-Maglite
    Batteries, spare 4xAA
    Money $40
    Spare clothing
    Paper & pencil
    50’ paracord, OD
    Rope 30’
    Folding saw
    Mini binocular
    Sterno
    Bunji Cords
    Green Duct tape military duct tape for closing wounds, moleskin, quick fixes like broken shoulder straps on your ruck
    tampons for massive trauma wounds
    You need to insure that with all your flashlights, you also carry lenses that come in either red, blue or green. These lights are easier to conceal from unfriendly eyes and don't destroy your night vision, so that you can use them to read a map for example, and still navigate at night.
    Navigation:
    Road map
    Compass
    Topo map
    Food:
    2x9x400 calorie emergency rations
    Freeze dried
    Snack food
    Peanut Butter - much better than jerky
    Water:
    4 liters of bottled water
    2 quart canteen w/ cover
    1 quart canteen
    Canteen cup
    Water purification tabs
    Communications:
    Small AM/FM radio*
    Mirror*
    Ham radio, 2meter

Water Romper
    Buy two.
    1) Get your self a 12 ga. pump shotgun, the shortest one available that’s “LEGAL” keep it cheap, Mossberg makes a good inexpensive “scatter gun” Load it with duck hunting shells and keep a box of “slugs” near buy…the shotgun is for close range shooting, good in the house, will not go through several walls EXCEPT for the slugs, they will take out a car.
    2) Next, get a pistol. 9mm w/ hollow points. H&K is my favorite however Glock, Smith and Wesson are good to. Get extra clips and load all of them. Get a holster that is easy to put on. You can go to your local uniform shop and get a get a belt, holster, flashlight holder (for a mag light) and pepper gas and holder.
    Make sure both guns are legal and registered.
    And now the fun part…training, training and more training. Plus SAFETY…I can’t stress enough about safety. You need to keep the weapons away from children. Keep the guns un-loaded and the clips and shells separate from the guns. The chances of you being awakened in the middle of the night by an intruder is pretty slim HOWEVER if there is a disaster, riot etc. all bets off and do what you feel comfortable with… however even in these circumstances, safety is still a number one priority.
    Remember….
    It will be a kill or be killed environment. Humans (term used loosely) turn very ugly when given the opportunity to take advantage of the weak and unarmed. :cry:

lucky
    for me anyway.
    After seeing the thugs in New Orleans killing and raping innocents and shooting at cops and the National Guard and...
    After hearing that there are 90,000 gang members in LA County and if there's ever a situation like that here (examples: Rodney King riots, OJ Simpson post-verdict hooliganism, post-earthquake, terror attack aftermath, etc.) I want to be able to protect my family and my property.
    So, I need to buy firearms! I'm thinking of buying a pistol and a shotgun. Some questions (help wanted):
    1. What do you recommend I buy?
    2. How many and which ones/type?
    3. Where should I go to buy them?
    4. What is the process to buy? How long, etc?
    Yes, I will pay for a firearms class so we will be trained.
    I only wish I didn't wait this long. And (here's the doom-and-gloom part), I hope this coming 9/11 (this Sunday) doesn't bring us a visit from Muslim terrorists since I won't be fully prepared.
    In the meantime I'm taking a close look at how prepared we are (good but not good enough) for a disaster (checking the food, water, cash, camping, supplies, etc.). It might be time to start buying MREs too :jawdrop:
    50 milimeter , why mess around

Jbb
    Tom Brown reccomends a super soaker with really cold water

Phat Daddy
    The other secret is to not let everyone know what you have. You'll not only turn into the neighbor security, if things got real bad you might be fighting off your own neighbors (food, water, gas, etc.). Just something to think about.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast