Thread: K n N Air Filters

bullheadboater
    I have a 2002 Nordic heat powered by a 496 mag HO. Has anyone put a K and N filter adapter and Airfilter on this engine package? If so did you notice any changes?

Essex502
    Originally posted by bullheadboater:
    I have a 2002 Nordic heat powered by a 496 mag HO. Has anyone put a K and N filter adapter and Airfilter on this engine package? If so did you notice any changes?
    Check www.riverracerx.com (http://www.riverracerx.com) as there are several Nordic owners who might have tried a K & N on a Heat.

In2Deep
    I just installed the K&N on my 496 Mag HO last weekend -- in my 2002 Nordic Heat.
    Went on easy (too easy). 2 minute effort. Have not yet had a chance to fully evaluate benefits -- and I have no expectations of noticeable performance gains.
    My goals were: 1) reduce black transom plague, 2) facilitate engine breathing a little better, 3)perhaps improve fuel efficiency over the long-haul.
    Some have reported slight RPM gains -- but I don't believe that.
    I will say that I thought I noticed a slightly different, slightly beefier growl coming up to plane. Sounds a bit beefier. Perhaps I'm imagining that, I don't know.
    Come on over to riverracerx.com and join some other Nordic owners. Happy to have you.
    dh

Jungle Boy
    There is a good article in the June Hot Rod magazine on different 14" x 3" air filters tested on the dyno with a 408 Pontiac. Here goes.
    - AFE Magnum Flow, 365.9 hp @ 4800 rpm
    - Holly Powershot, 367.2 hp @ 4800 rpm
    - K&N, 368.7 hp @ 4900 rpm
    - Purolator Premium, 368.7 hp @ 4900 rpm
    - Rush Performance, 368.5 hp @ 4700 rpm
    Their summary said that you have to decide on which one from the price and looks. Sadly, not performance.
    Boats generally come with a fairly restrictive filter and should improve with better air flow from any perfomance filter. Kind of long winded, but I've got nothing better to do right now.
    JB

2Slow
    I have a 454 Magnum with a K & N, not to sure what it did, as I did many mods at the same time. I went with the 14" x 4" not the 3"
    My motor sticks out, and when I get stuck in the rain, I had a paper (car) filter and it would get trashed.
    I have a K & N in all my cars, motorcycle. And on the bike makes a HUGE improvement. For the money its a no brainer
    Originally posted by bullheadboater:

paulinator
    In 2Deep, I had one put on my 496 ho mag and I feel like it definitely made a positive impact on cutting back on the amount of soot on the transom. I have picked up about 2 mph on my speedo, but I also had my prop tuned and I think that make the most difference.