Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Alternator Mount

Backtanner
    I'm looking to replace my existing Motorola alt with a Delco(7127). My question is where to mount it. The mount I have now is nothing more than a section of allthread with what looks like a piece of generic steel. I've seen the Mr Gasket style ones but I'm not sure where that would mount to. The existing area is pretty tight and won't allow much for adjustments. The other side of the block looks like the fuel pump would be in way. [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/454_Alt_Mount.JPG[/img]

BOFH
    Boy, it is tough to see from a picture... It looks like the lower mount is to the engine mount? I assume you have solid mounts... If so, the upper is the olny problem. You can get a universal slide, and bolt the secure end to the top engine mount bolt, and the tope of the alternator will slide to tighten. See my lovely image of the bolt to mount to.

HM
    I have mine set up exactly the way BOFH has suggested. Looks like a SBC, just like mine. I have an aluminum universal slide (I think I got it from Rex). And, it looks like we have the exact same engine mount - Glenwood. I did have to space the slide out a bit to properly line up with the top of the alternator. I will try to post a picture of my setup asap.
    Mine is a bit different in that I put a March converstion kit to serpentine style belt. It is the cutest little serpenting belt you have ever seen! It is the exact same length as the v-groove belt.

Havasu Hangin'
    Summit sells some cool mounting stuff. Mine is also left-hand low (like yours) but mine mounts to the exhaust manifold bolts, and the adjustment arm swings off the front bolts (like BOFH mentioned).
    I always liked the billet stuff from March..

(left-hand high short shaft water pump)

(right-hand high long shaft water pump)
    Rex might be able to fix you up. Good luck.

HM
    Upon closer inspection of your photo, I am not sure if that is a SBC? I looked at the header primary spacings and thought it was, but the heads look much different. Does not really matter for this question.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/alternator0004.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/alternator0001.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/alternator0002.JPG[/img]
    I know the cooling fins look like they hit the slide, but there is about an 1/8" clearance - when I get a chrome or polished marine alternator, this will not be an issue. I used aluminum stringer washers to space out the slide, but eventually I will have someone machine a custom slide for me, unless I find one that fits without spacers.

Backtanner
    H.M. That bar you have set up, is that like a Mr.Gasket type only chopped? The ones I've seen in the stores look to be about two feet long.

HM
    Backtanner:
    H.M. That bar you have set up, is that like a Mr.Gasket type only chopped? The ones I've seen in the stores look to be about two feet long.I got it from Rex Marine - and I did not chop it.
    Try Rex Marine
    [ September 08, 2002, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

HM
    Whoops, I may not have gotten it from Rex. I went to the website and could not find that part. I don't remember where I got it if I did not get it from Rex.

396_Z
    Thats is absoulutly a BBC for the confused among us...
    For the new mounts I'd just get a low mount alt bracket kit from www.summitracing.com or if you have access the machinery and fabricating skills you could make your own fairly easily if you pattern after the March kits.

HM
    He doesn't need a kit, as his engine mount has the lower mount built in. Rex does have a similar steel top bracket as mine(mine is aluminum). Also, those low mount brackets many times won't clear stringers and rear engine mounts on v-drives.
    This bracket can be found here.
    [ September 08, 2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast