Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding 1992 Merc 7.4/Bravo 1

Waveline24
    Gonna rebuild the STOCK motor as it is starting to consume oil and is well due for a rebuild. It has the thunderbolt IV ignition system and the WEBER 4 barrel carb.
    Are there any recommended mods while its apart as far as cams lifters to gain performance.
    The boat used to run 71 GPS but now has lost speed and compression.
    Should I just replace the parts with the SAME OEM parts or do you have any recommendations for upgrading while its apart.
    Im not talking about NEW HEADS or SUPERCHARGERS and the like. Just minor changes that won't break the bank.
    I really appreciate your help guys.
    If there is ANY other info you need about my setup, let me know.
    Thanks
    Will

Waveline24
    Anyone have any ideas. Im pulling the motor today so I have to make a plan for the rebuild.
    Thanks
    Will

crmax
    new intake carb and cam will help on the hp, if you have to get new pistons get the lightest you can afford, most of the time you have to bore the block anyhow, your crank should be fine but upgrade the rod bolts

Waveline24
    Do you have any places you would recommend shopping for the Intake Cam and Carb?
    Thanks
    Will

Chillin The Most
    If you want to read alot of opinions on rebuilding that motor, go to page 2 on this forum and read the thread I started on April 2nd with 68 replies.
    Just my .02, I would put that motor in the corner and buy a ZZ 502 c.i./502 HP long block crate motor and use all your bolt ons.

Waveline24
    Well. The motor is out. Time for me to make some decisions on what to do.
    http://www.supersaleitems.com/images...motoroutEZ.jpg

Chillin The Most
    Originally posted by Waveline24:
    Well. The motor is out. Time for me to make some decisions on what to do.
    http://www.supersaleitems.com/images...motoroutEZ.jpg You should of held the boat in your other hand as well, would of rather seen the boat.

crmax
    check out the classified ads and links , Id go with an edelbrock rpm dual plane and a holley 750 dont let anyone talk you into a single plane manifold the make more power but up in the rpm range

bruleracer
    check out www.westechperformance.com (http://www.westechperformance.com)
    top thunder kits,, we spent over 100 hrs. developing a kit to turn 330-360 hp bravo packages into 425 hp. and dont have to lift a head,--- cam, intake, carb, and your in.
    steve brule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast