Thread: I need help on picking a cam??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have a bbc 454 .30 over,balanced,9:5:1 comp, torker II intake holey 750 cfm vac sec,flat top pistons and large oval port (ported) heads. My question is why does everybody tell me not to go higher than 235 duration @.50 on my cam? One guy told me I would float the cam. Is this true. He also said jets dont turn enough rpm's to make power where the cam wants to. Is this true? Could someone help a brotha out? All I want is a good cam with a very healthy and loppy sound without adjustments all the time.

Jordy
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    I have a bbc 454 .30 over,balanced,9:5:1 comp, torker II intake holey 750 cfm vac sec,flat top pistons and large oval port (ported) heads. My question is why does everybody tell me not to go higher than 235 duration @.50 on my cam? One guy told me I would float the cam. Is this true. He also said jets dont turn enough rpm's to make power where the cam wants to. Is this true? Could someone help a brotha out? All I want is a good cam with a very healthy and loppy sound without adjustments all the time. Go down to Wilky's on Mesa Dr and Main. Talk to George. He has an Iske catalog that gives the breakdown of what cams to run based on impellor cut and boating preference, ie. pleasure, racing, skiing, etc. We set up my Schiada with a hydraulic cam out of the catalog and never had a problem with it. Now I am getting ready to put a new motor in my other boat and we used the same catalog and I dont anticipate any problems there either.
    Jordan

canuck1
    too much cam will bleed off cylinder pressure and actually make less power than a smaller one buy a cam thats power range matches your pump and hulls potential, jordan gave a good option for you

Jordy
    You can even take your chances and tell him I sent you down there. He might not even hold it against you. LOL Just kidding, I am down there all the time and they take care of me. Make it worth the drive from 32nd St and Cactus.
    Jordan

FLYTE RISK
    ROLLER,ROLLER,ROLLER, SMALL or large, hyd. or solid....A little more $$$$$$$$$ goes along way at the lake...Good luck I prefer Engle in santa monica.. ph#310-450-0806 talk to chris it is free!!!!!!!!

565edge
    FLYTE RISK:
    ROLLER,ROLLER,ROLLER, SMALL or large, hyd. or solid....A little more $$$$$$$$$ goes along way at the lake...Good luck I prefer Engle in santa monica.. ph#310-450-0806 talk to chris it is free!!!!!!!! Engle does have some good boat grinds?

obnoxious001
    People are telling you not to go more that 235 degrees at .050" because it would probably be too much cam for your combination. I built an engine with similar specs for a close friend, used ahydraulic American Racing Cam from right here in Glendora, CA. I don't have the cam card at my finger tips tonight, but if you are interested email me tomorrow. The cam works really well, sounds good, and the engine surprises lots of guys who think they have fast stuff. This one is in an open bow, covered engine boat, runs honest low 60's with thru the transom exhausts. I would guess you are running closed chamber heads if you say you have 9.5 to 1 with flat top pistons. I have to go down and see him about a roller tomorrow, will get the grind number and spec for you.
    Barry

superdave013
    Well you said nothing about the application that you are using this engine in. It's hard to recomend something with out a little more info. Jet, I/O, little tunnel or big day cruiser. But anyway I use Clay Smith Cams. Give George @ Clay Smith Cams a call @ 714-523-0530. He's done it all with boats and will point you in the right direction. And explain why he's pointing you that way.