Thread: Roller Rockers

LilFlattie
    I have a 30 over 454 that experienced valve float,which broke a valve and put a push rod permenently into a stock rocker. So, I have the heads in being worked and new valves and push rods. My question is there going to be a problem with using used roller rockers. Free is a deal I can't pass up unless it is not a good idea. Thanks.

Blown 472
    LilFlattie:
    I have a 30 over 454 that experienced valve float,which broke a valve and put a push rod permenently into a stock rocker. So, I have the heads in being worked and new valves and push rods. My question is there going to be a problem with using used roller rockers. Free is a deal I can't pass up unless it is not a good idea. Thanks. Sould not be unless the roller brgs are junk, check them over good and if ok run them.

GofastRacer
    Used rockers shouldn't be a problem as long as they are in good shape. Check the rollers, shouldn't be any slop, if there is you need to replace it, most roller rockers are rebuildable, if they are free, grab em, nothing to lose there!. Your main concern is valve float, make sure you put new springs on!!. Here'a tip to make springs live longer!, if you let the motor sit for a period of time, back off the rockers so you don't have any springs compressed, your springs will appreciate it!..

TX19
    Flattie, Is the work you are doing on the heads (new push rods, valves and roller rockers) to repair what was broken, or, are you trying the fix the valve float problem?

boatguy222
    after you fix the problem with the engine, you'll need new valve covers because the rollers rockers won't fit under the ones you have now.

LilFlattie
    TX19....yes the new parts are to replace what was damaged. I am also addressing the valve float problem. It seems that the spring were not at the right installed height.
    Oh........Marc. since you bring up the valve covers, do you hace any to "Donate" to the cause...

boatguy222
    LilFlattie
    Oh........Marc. since you bring up the valve covers, do you hace any to "Donate" to the cause... [/QB]it's all about e-bay, dude!

Dyce51
    I have used used roller rockers in the past with no problems...I agree with everyone else...be sure the rocker bearings aren't waisted....also che your push rod length..if you are changing from normal stock rockers to roller rocker you have to adjust your push rod length otherwise you will have a world of problems...the factory rockers use shorter pushrods than the rollers use.. most reputable engine shops can help you figure out what lngth you need...